Wanted Piper Dakota PA28-236 Non-Turbo, Non-Aircondition

I am looking to buy a Dakota, I am a cash buyer $140K budget.
Rich in San Diego, 619-997-4203, fly4ragu@aol.com

Comments

• Hi Rich,
    Good budget number; you should be able to get a low time airframe and zero time engine and a great panel for that. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott!

• Just for reference, I picked up a 1977 Turbo Arrow 3 with 1200 on the engine, 4000 on the airframe and a brand spanking new panel for $105,000 last March. Here are pics. Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Rich,
    I have been actively looking for a Dakota for about 8 months. Good ones are hard to find. Your budget is a little higher than mine, so that will help. If you have not already seen it, check out AirMart in Lexington KY. They have a nice looking 1979 Dakota for $149,900. the couple of times I talked to them, I dealt with Paul Cannon.
    May also check Dan Jay Aircraft in Chico, CA. They have a 1981 Dakota for $104,000; higher time engine and needs avionics upgrade, but with your budget might be worth a look.

Good luck.

Ben

• Thanks so much for posting, Ben.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Beautiful Plane! Congrats!

• Thanks Ben, I saw those as well, Scott did you use a broker to find yours?

Thanks!

• edited March 4

No, I just found it on this Piper Owners forum by a member. I did, however, use a very good company for the pre-buy. And I'm glad I did! It fold about $11,000 worth of repairs to be done. The seller gladly took care of 95% of it. I'm grateful to him and the pre-buy company.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott,

Thinking about picking up an Arrow. Do you have any recommendations what I should look for on the Pre-buy?
    Thanks!

• Hi and thanks for writing. Having owned 8 airplanes my advice is always the same on this topic. Engine condition is paramount unless the engine is runout and you're going to overhaul it anyway. That followed by corrosion. Corrosion is hugely expensive to repair and can leave you down for months. Other things like avionics, interior, paint and a good annual inspection are generally manageable. If there are significant things wrong that show up on the pre-buy you can either walk away from the purchase or negotiate with the seller. Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Be wary of very old engines, even if they are only mid-time. I bought my Arrow with 1300 hrs on the engine and the prebuy noted that it was 29 years old. I was told that it was safe, but would probably only last a few hundred more hours till it needed overhaul. I thought the price was fair considering that fact and thought I’d have a couple of years to put away the cash for a new engine. It only made it about 25 hours before a crack was discovered in the crank case....9 months into ownership, the plane has only been airworthy for 50% of the time.

There was a bit of bad luck in there for sure, but I was primarily concerned with the hours and not the age of the engine. If I could go do it over again, I would have either found a cheaper Arrow with a runout engine and just overhauled it right away, or found one with a lower-time, lower-aged engine and paid a bit more for it. Either way I would have come out way ahead of where I am today.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Experience is an expensive teacher :) However, Jim, your plane is almost done and looks like it came right out of the factory! So happy ending! (I hope :) )

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes, just waiting....waiting....so close but still at least a couple of weeks of waiting.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• What you need to do is to bring Stephen at SCA a couple of cans of energy drink and tell him to work all night! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the input!