What's the best product for lubing control wheel shafts?

I want to slick up my shafts!!

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• Harley...I have tried spray Silicone, spray car wax and a/c windshield cleaner. None seem to last very long. Hesitant to use WD-40 as it tends to collect dust.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Just saw this on POA:

"The most important thing, though, for a smooth landing, is to clean the heck out of the yoke assembly and keep it waxed, so it glides in and out without resistance.
    Good point. I use 100% silicone treadmill lubricant and it works well."
    The image is a bottle of "Treadmill Belt Lubricant" and other post said that silicone bicycle chain lubricant works well.
    [​IMG]

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Interesting post. I’m a relatively new owner. After my first annual I was amazed at how smooth the controls were, specifically the stabilator. After this last one I didn't really see any difference. Is it the shafts? I’m assuming the other control wheels etc were lubed.

• Bill, most likely the shafts. There is a Teflon bushing the shafts run in, it doesn't take much for the controls to feel "sticky". If you have an autopilot, it can cause the plane to "porpoise" up and down a bit as the pitch servo has to fight against the sticky shafts.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I use spray silicone about every three months or so. Also, I'm having the brass bearing inserts replaced at next annual because they're worn and they bind on the shafts. I replaced them on my Seneca and it made an amazing difference.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, I cleaned both shafts with rubbing alcohol, I cannot believe all the black crap that came off on a rag! Wiped them both with some silicone, and now the elevator is smooth like warm butter!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Scott and Harley.....thank you both very much!

• Bill...there's nothing like having a well-lubricated shaft! :D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Too funny, guys :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• What a difference. I was starting to be a little hit or miss on the quality of my landings. I think lubing the control wheel shaft helps quite a bit.

• Roger that. Also, check the brass fitting that the shaft fits through. On all of my Pipers, the left shaft has worn out and it loose. I'm replacing (again, lol) them both at my next annual.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!