1979 PA-32-300 Full Exterior and Interior Refurb

edited June 16 in Member Restorations

We recently completed a full exterior and interior refurb of our 1979 PA-32-300 which included a club seat conversion and tail number change. The work was done by Matt Kozub at http://www.pristineairplanes.com. We selected Matt’s company after several months of research and traveling to his shop to see an example of his recent work on another 1979 PA32. Here is a photo album of our refurb project including pics from when we first bought the plane and brought her home from San Diego: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ChDnrPQBwF5A3PR9A

Comments

• Hello Cannon,
    How long did it take? What was the leadtime?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 17
    Scott, we scheduled our restoration six months in advance and started on Jan 1, 2019. We were told it would take at least three months. 1.5 months for paint and 1.5 months for interior. We had some delays due to unusually cold weather in Ohio during the winter. This prevented the paint shop for being able to keep the paint booth above 70 degrees which was required for a good paint job. We also had delays in getting parts from Piper for club seat conversion. All of this added several weeks to our project and we actually brought her home on May 13, 2019 so about five months in all.
  • Thanks so much. I'm thinking about a new interior for my Arrow this coming winter. I've done four of my planes with Airtex kits, which are of good quality and a good price. But yours is by far the nicest interior I've seen. I'm going to look into Pristine. Thanks again.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Beautiful!!

Ben

• Wow, very nice!!!

Jim

• I'm curious to what your passengers think of the club seating change. It looks nice but having two people share the same leg space that was once just used by one passenger doesn't seem comfortable.

Kurt Johnson

• Good point. I owned a Seneca 3 for a long time with club seating. You couldn't really put four adults in that area due to weight and balance. Kids facing each other weren't a problem, nor were 2 kids and 2 adults. Mostly I would have two adults and they would put their feet up :) All of my other 7 planes had forward facing seats, far better in my view. Who wants to sit backwards?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited July 1
    My primary mission for my Six was a roomy four person airplane with enough useful load for four grown adults, fuel and baggage. Club seats gives more room for the passengers in the rear. I think it looks better as well. Plus I believe the resale value is better. Regardless the center seats even in a forward facing arrangement were hard to access and didn’t have much legroom anyway.
  • Right, agreed. On my last Seneca 2 that I had for 16 years I removed the middle row, right seat and used that for flight gear; O2, fire extinguisher, etc. The passengers always like the rear-most seats anyway. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!