Hello Everyone!

I'm the owner of this 1979 Arrow IV. It's in the shop getting all new Garmin avionics installed, and also a Tru Trak autopilot.

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• Awesome, dude! When it gets done post a before and after panel pic or two. Beautiful airplane, thanks for putting up the picture.
    Have you owned it long? Thanks for being a member!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• What Garmin products? Great looking bird!

• GMA 345 audio panel, GTN650 GPS, GNC 255 nav/com, and a GTX 345 ADS-B in/out transponder.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• You're the first person I know who's purchased a 255 nav/com. Please let us know how you like it when you've got it installed.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, I've got a 255 GNC in my cherokee 180. It's really nice but I tend not to use the nav all that much so far. It does have one cool feature. If you connect it to a GPS source it will give you local frequency's to pick from. Even if you don't, it still can remember them for you and has a large data base for that. I also have a Narco 12D that just sort of stares at me with a few digits missing. Not much reason to use the Narco.

Jim

• Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the info on the 255. I think most of us are enamored with the new features available in that radio but there's sticker shock to go with it. Since you're doing alot of avionics at once I hope you got a great price!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, the final bill is going to be a doozy! I am also having the shop install a couple Garmin G5 and remove the vacuum system. Will shave about 20 pounds off the weight of the plane with all that gone. Kris, the avionics shop manager, sent me an email that the 255 was backordered...hope it doesn't sit in the shop too long.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• HI Woody,
    Hopefully they can get the install tray and connector while the radio's backordered. On my Arrow, the previous owner removed the vacuum system and got a 30 pound useful load increase. I'm going to be curious to see what your final weight change is going to be. :) Sorry about the "doozy" bill, I've had a couple of those myself, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Old panel vs. new panel

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Very Nice!!! I’m about to receive one of those doozy bills as well!!!!
    Welcome to the club :D beautiful plane!

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Scott, my Arrow lost 28 pounds with removal of vacuum system and old avionics. They weighed the plane last Thursday for new weight and balance data.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Hi Woody,
    That matches with the experience on my Arrow, which lost 30. This is huge! :) Thanks for sharing this, maybe others will be motivated to do the same.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I hope others at least consider replacing some of the old avionics in their planes with new stuff. While I still have some analog instruments, I see why glass panels are so popular.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Likewise. :) Thanks again!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Great pictures...did you have any problems interfacing the G5's with the autopilot...i had to go to the Aspen to interface with my autopilot.

• I have a 1967 Cherokee 140 that is getting the ADS-B in and out installed this week.Removing old ADF and Loran equipment and replacing both Com antennas. My back up Narco radio and King transponder are stacked together on the far right side of the instrument panel. Do they make a mount to pivot these radios toward the pilot? I am not sure i want to move the transponder into the middle stack area because I want to put mount my iPad there.

• Hi, there are no pre-built mounts for the right side of the panel for anything other than an IPad, sorry! How about posting pics of your plane and panel, before and after. We'd love to see it! Good luck on the install.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi, there are no pre-built mounts for the right side of the panel for anything other than an IPad, sorry! How about posting j

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey Woody218 did you get rid of that King 170b radio???

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• edited January 2019

Hi Rich,
    Are you in need of one? I have 2 available...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes Scott! I was going to use mine as a backup, when I get my new avionics installed in March and now the volume knob is not working! Not really wanting to buy a new back up radio like a Garmin 255. Was hoping to use this 170b but now it’s giving me trouble..... are you willing to part with one and what kind of $$ do you need for it?

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Hi Rich,
    Make me an offer and I'll probably accept it, lol. The two that I have came out of my Arrow last summer and work well.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott I looked on the web and the price of them is all over the place! From $500.00 down to a beat up looking radio for $120.00. How about $200.00?

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Hi Rich,
    Sounds fine. Send me your address to scotts @jonespublishing.com.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a LORAN you could have real cheap!!! :D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• The government is re-thinking the previous administration's dismantling of LORAN-C. E-LORAN may be the solution to "all the eggs in the GPS basket" concept. Doubt your (or my own) LORAN-C receiver will work with E-LORAN but who knows!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• The two LORAN formats are not compatible. E-LORAN is much more precise than LORAN-C.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I cut 13lbs of LORAN cable out of my plane!!!! It’s not going back in!!!!

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Yes, E-LORAN has different data frames for one thing. But the premise is good...ground-based signals of VLF that would be difficult to jam (except by lightning!!). Better than CONSOLAN and some of the chains may still be intact...at least along the coastal areas. I recall when the mid-continent chain was established so that we in the middle of the country had good signals. Trips from Colorado to the west coast using LORAN-C navigation matched or exceeded GPS...of course that was while SA was implemented!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Loran for backup would definitely get my vote. Much better than VOR. :) I still have my Loran unit in my basement as a momento... or is that paperweight? Or maybe a wheel-chock lol

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!