Hello from PA-23-235 N4986P!

Hi all, long time Piper Owner member, but I finally just signed up for the forum. I am now the caretaker my late Father's 1964 235 Apache which he purchased in 1970 when I was three years old. I have been refurbishing it over the last few years. We use the plane for $100 Hamburgers, Pancake Breakfasts, occasional trips to OSH and Sun-N-Fun, and Family trips and Vacations. Here are the details;

1964 Piper PA-23-235 Apache
sn 27-590
N4986P

In 1969 it was converted via STC to Lycoming IO-540 250HP engines with Rajay Turbonormalizers.

In the late 70’s or early 80’s Dad added the Geronimo Nose, Gear Doors, and Wing Tips.

In 2007 we did a major panel refurb and added the speed slope windshield.

In 2016 I converted it to 6 seats, replaced all the insulation and side windows, and added the rear baggage space, along with a new O2 system.

In 2017 I couldn’t help myself and updated the panel again to an all Garmin glass panel. Also, we overhauled both engines and props.

In 2018, we completed an all new leather interior, with new headliner and carpet.

So pretty much everything except paint has been addressed, and I think I’ll take a breather and wait a bit on that.

Anyway, that's the story on N4986P. Glad to be here.

Maynard Smith
Omaha, NE

Comments

• Hola Maynard,
    That is one amazing Apache you have! Holy cow! Great photos you've posted and I'm sure that you're quite proud of your handiwork. Thanks so much for posting these. I can put my socks back on now :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• What a “new” aircraft! Amazing...it appears like new inside, exterior not bad either!

• Very nice!

• WOW!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Beautiful

PA28-236 KRFD

• OMG, that’s a piece of art!!

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• Very beautiful aircraft! Welcome to the forums! I think we all might have to wipe the drool off our chins.......

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175

• Sorry, I haven't been on for a while due to work and the Holidays. I just opened the February issue of Pipers and low and behold I saw a familiar aircraft in the Member Activity and Restorations section. Thanks Scott, or whomever was responsible for that. And thanks for all the nice comments above. I really appreciate it!

Maynard

• Hi Maynard,
    Welcome back! Great to have you and we're really pleased that you're happy with the February issue! :) Stay warm!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Looks sick!

• What a gorgeous Apache. I first read your plane as a PA 28 and when I started looking at the photos I notice the doubling of everything on the throttle quadrant, I said What? and then noticed it was a 3 not an 8. :D

• Hey Maynard ! I’m a Fedex guy , fly to Omaha Eppley when I can get the line ....... That’s a gorgeous Apache ! How much you guys fly it a year ? I’ll look for you at OSH !

• Thanks! I usually fly it around 40 hours a year.

Maynard