Apache back in air after 18 years

Comments

• Excellent!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Oh, this is so cool. You should be very proud of yourself. So tell us, what kinds of things have you done to restore it? If you have more pics, we're all eager to see them! :) Thanks so much for the post.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Man, I always had a soft spot for the Apache!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Have read several articles on how to do a pre-buy on airplanes. Our Local EAA have hade several planes donated that have been just sitting for years and sold them. This Apache was sold, going to Florida and the purchaser could not arrange picking it up. It was announced anyone could buy it for the agreed price and my instructor said he would take it. Three of us got in and started looking and cleaning it.

Apache N2203P was last annulled in 2001, the owner injured his eye, unable to fly and it set in a hanger till we pulled it out. We aired the tires up and towed it to the wash rack to see what was under the dirt. We were excited. Pulled a valve cover on each engine, very pleased, no rust.

Wound up rebuilding all 4 mags, replaced one starter and rebuilt the other one, started flushing the fuel system, rebuilding valves and replacing O rings, the fuel bladders actually held gas. (Still look for leaks every time I walk in the hanger) Spent many hours spraying cables breaking them loose then respraying them till they got smooth. Decided it was time to try and crank the engines, borrowed a battery and they cranked, smoothed out rather quickly and throttled back to a nice idle.

Made a decision (or guess) it might be able to fly. Will add more.

• What part of the country are you located ? No rust inside valve covers very nice ! I’d keep the engines on oil analysis program to be sure about condition . Airframe and engine times ? Props ? Hope you have a lot of fun with it ! I love the original Apache and pre Aztec 235 hp Apache setup ..........

• Very nice. Congrats! It takes a lot of, well something, to pull the trigger on this kind of project. Kudos to you. Keep us updated with progress and pictures!

• Too cool! Rebirth! It is Eastertide!

• And that "it takes a lot of, well something..." is TLC. Tending Lotsa Cash!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Great job. Love seeing old birds brought back to life.

Kurt Johnson

• edited April 2019
    I am in the middle of the same type of Rehabilitation on a 1974 Arrow II, but this one only (LOL) sat in a Hangar for 10 years. Fun project! Gives you a lot of Pride to bring one back. It makes you feel like part of the Aircraft. Good Luck!

Brad Goodbread
    Okeechobee, FL KOBE

• There is NOTHING that makes me more sad than seeing an aircraft sitting somewhere doing a slow rot. Aircraft belong in the air! Good on you for for bringing this old gal back to flight status!!!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV