Wing Leveler

What tells a Wing Leveler its position?

Comments

• If it's an old Century 1 autopilot (wing leveler) it's a turn coordinator. What kind are you referring to?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My old unit in my 1970 Cessna utilized VOR for position info. Not much help!

• In the case of the Tru Trak Vizion, it has an internal sensor that tells it when it's level.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I have a Vision install scheduled for June 3. Anticipating the date already!

• Mine is like Scott described. A Century 1

Jim

• On my 76 Arrow it is the ADI. (Piper Altimatic 111B)
    Austin

• I have a 1966 PA-28-235. There are no significant marking on the unit face to tell me which one it is. Help !

• Hi, we really need to know what you have in your panel. Can you take a few photos and post them? That will get us a few steps closer :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Wing Leveler for 235

• Somewhere in your maint. records including a FAA form 337. This should be documented. Hopefully you can get some info from that. I've never seen a unit that looks like that.
    Austin

• Hi Austin and Cobbler: I've been around the block with autopilots on Pipers since about 1964 and I've never seen one of these. It doesn't seem to be Century, Britain, Sperry or King. Who else was out there in 1966 or later?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Can you pull the unit out? there should be a data plate on it somewhere.
    Austin

• Here's a comment from our avionics guru, Bob Hart:

Hi Scott,
    I believe that is the original “Autoflite”, the first autopilot I mention in my legacy autopilot article.
    Photos are hard to find and I may not have included a photo in the article.
    That, in it’s original version was in fact, a wing leveler. You could add tracking to it.

Tell the guy to run. There’s nothing there worth doing anything with.
    Thanks!
    Bob

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Bob is right it is the Autoflite. Don't be afraid of it . Total simplistic system. It has 3 main pieces. The switch upfront a electric gyro,and a servo. Gyro is still repairable by mid continent instruments approx $500
  • Thanks for your comments :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• How so you operate the auto flight wing leveler? It has a knob and a switch. Do you push in for tracking for?

Martin

• Basically just turn it off or disengage it and make your turn, then turn it back on or re-engage it. All it does is hold the wings level. The knob makes it bank, that's all.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• This wing leveler is now being replaced by a Garmin GFC 500. When it comes out I will take pictures and post for others to see.

• Nice upgrade! You're going to love the GFC-500!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• This forum post has been very helpful. Turns out my 1968 Cherokee 140 was gifted with the ORIGINAL Piper Autoflite system that was talked about here. My mechanic and I have been trying to get it working, and having only minor successes. The controller is working, the servo motor is working, the motor disengage is working, but the gyro does not seem to be spinning. Here are some pictures in case this helps anyone else.

• I also have a wiring diagram that has come in handy, in case anyone needs it.

• Does the gyro spin if you move it with your hand? I'm trying to figure out if the motor needs work or the bearings are frozen.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The gyro is sealed inside that yellow/orange cylinder. We did get it to spin one time, and it was really going fast, but we have not been able to get it started since. There is a funny little "hammer" on the outside that whacks against the yellow cylinder (like a stimulator/vibrator type of thing) that will start moving slowly sporadically. So it seems to be either a power, motor, or stuck gyro situation. I'm going to call Midcontinent Instruments and see what they say (if anything). Thank you!

• OK, thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!