Flying in Australia

Last year, I was visiting my daughter in Melbourne, VIC Australia. I had been to Lilydale Airport and wanted to fly one of their Archers. I went up with one of the instructors and we flew around Melbourne. Great flight and so "cool" to fly in another country. First time flying an Archer III. Once the aircraft was started (with the direction of my flight instructor) it was about the same as our Archer II.

Comments

• Wow, looks great! So how long would it take to fly to Australia from Florida in an Archer? :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• With air to air refueling....a long time!

• At 9,627 miles divided by 135 mph (estimated) would be just over 71 hours. Tampa to Melbourne Australia

• OMG. That's a very long flight.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• You guys are a bunch of characters. Gotta love the humor. But I will say, I was not at all familiar with the Archer III overhead panel and rocker switch configuration. My Instructor Pilot made quick work of things and smoothed the rough edges (pun intended, first grass that I have taken off on or landed on since being a student in 1992!).

Seriously, it was a sheer joy to be at the controls over Melbourne, VIC at the controls. I made a deal with him that he did the radios and I did the flying, under his direction of course. We were under the control of Essendon Fields Airport for our flight. Whilst I travel to Australia frequently and my grandkids are growing up there (thick Aussie accent), I just didn't want to miss a call and/or cause problems. We were up for about 1.2 hours.

I guess one thing that is a bit uncomfortable to me is flying "low" at only 1500 feet. I prefer to be higher "just in case" when I fly here in Florida.

P.S. I don't know how I made a duplicate of this thread. If the moderators want to delete the other one, please do.

Thanks Mate!

• Thanks for the update, KV! Sounds amazing flying down there. Did you manage to take some pics that you can post here? :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 2019
    Did not realize the Archer III was approved for inverted flight! ;)

Regards,

Mike
  • Mike and it took me about 30 seconds to realise I had been had!. Good one.

Scott, that was a good idea but no, I concentrated on flying in the Melbourne Airspace and I guess I could have told the Instructor, "You have control" and taken a few. Next time, I will. But with the lockdown in Australia too, I suspect it will be another year before I can visit the family there again.