Leaky fuel caps costing me $$$

I have 1964 PA-28 Cherokee that has a consistent problem of losing fuel from both of the gas caps during climb out. I have replaced the rubber seals under the caps, and even purchase new caps from Spruce, but still find blue streaks on the wings after each flight when I land. An obvious answer would be to just not put as much fuel in the tanks and just fill to the tabs instead of topping off the tanks, but I do make some pretty long cross country flights where I need the fuel, so I usually keep the tanks full. I have searched the Internet for different fuel cap solutions, hoping to find something that is flush mounted and/or seals tightly to prevent this from happening but I haven’t been able to find anything but the stock caps.

Does anybody know of a solution to this problem, and where I might find a better gas cap?

Brian Lucas
N6234W
‘64 Cherokee

Brian Lucas
N6234W

Comments

• I am not an expert, but I think I remember hearing that there are two different thicknesses on the available rubber seals. Maybe there is a different sized seal that you need.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• I’ve only been able to find one size of seal through Spruce or other retailers, and have tried a couple different ones to see if they’re just manufactured differently, but they still don’t fix the issue unfortunately.

Brian Lucas
    N6234W

• Hi, there are two thicknesses and I've purchased the wrong ones twice on two different airplanes. Check your parts manual for the right one. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/gasket08-13788.php?clickkey=3008203 https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/gasket08-13787.php?clickkey=3008203 Here they are, two different thicknesses.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, the second link you sent isn’t the correct diameter size and won’t fit my cap. I haven’t been able to find a gasket thicker than 1/16” with the correct 3” OD x 2” ID size.

Is there not a better fitting cap on the market that locks in place and seals properly?

Brian Lucas
    N6234W

• Hi Brian,
    To the best of my knowledge there are no alternate sources of tank covers other than buying them directly from Piper/Aviall. I've looked for years and haven't found anything. Perhaps someone else has. If I remember right, Piper charges a couple of hundred for new ones.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!