Ramp Check Experience. Ugh!

Hello:

During a normal ramp check an FAA inspector check my maintenance records and said they were OK except that I did not have a life limited Parts Status list. As far as I know this is not required in an A/C operated under part 91 private us only.

Where could I find information to confirm if it really applies or not, this is the first time I’ve been asked for this record in 38 years that I have this A/C.

Thank you for your help.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Good afternoon Mr. Torres,

Please stand by while I research this for you.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Any parts listed as "life limited" in the TCDS for the PA-23-250 (found here: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/ec4ba2bf3f78ff7d8625791a004656ee/$FILE/1A10.pdf )

Are required to be replaced once their limit is met. (I skimmed over the TCDS for the PA-23-250 and did not see any life limited parts listed.)

This is the TCDS for the Aerostar: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/abbbb99ff89dc2ed86257a8b006ee54b/$FILE/A17WE_Rev_23.pdf

As you can see on Note 3 it lists what parts have limits and what they are. So, I get the feeling you could have satisfied the FAA inspector by telling him "There is no listing because there are no life limited parts on the airplane per the TCDS".

If you have life limited parts in your airplane, it would be helpful to have a list of them and when they are due in the aircraft records, but if you think back to when you got your initial flight training the documents required in an airplane are: AROW (one R because a radio license is no longer required within the US) Airworthiness, Registration, Operators Handbook, and Weight and Balance. Documents the PILOT must carry are; your License and Medical (as of right now).

There are other required placards and markings etc ALL of which are found on the TCDS (see Note 2 for the PA-23-250 it's extensive for that airplane), but no where will you find that the Maintenance logs must be carried, nor AD listing etc.... (And I suggest you don't, this is a perfect example)

Pt 121, 135, & 145 are different but for 91 you need any of them. You don't even need your pilot log, you just need to be able to prove currency. (However I don't suggest you argue Reg's with FAA members while being ramp checked!)

Just the view from my hangar~

~Erich Rempert, A&P Advisor for Piper Owner Society

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!