Panel do over

Here are a couple pics of my panel restoration, before and after. Plane is a 1963 PA28-180

Comments

• Wow, that looks awesome! If it weren’t for the push-pull throttle the thing could pass for 40 years younger!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• My thoughts, too, Jim. Very nice! Thanks for keeping the economy going! lol

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey Jim, you FAA? I'm tech ops manager at Logan

• Yup, I’m a controller at C90. I am getting G5’s put in my Arrow as we speak (and possibly a new GPS-long story). I had a dream last night that I went into my hangar and had a whole new panel which looked a lot like yours :D

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Haha....you don't want to know what I spent! I'm probably going to put in the G5 DG and get rid of the vacuum pump and that will be it!

• edited October 19

G5 and Aspen have changed the world! 30 pound increase in useful load. And, have you ever stuck your head under the panel? What a difference with all of those gauges and hoses missing. Jim M: I ran into Pat on Thursday night at my EAA chapter in Racine, he says you may be trading that KSN770 for a shiny new Avidyne 540 (under the B-K name. B-K? Burger King!) That would be a good decision / Opportunity. I've been running a 540 for about four years. It works with everything :) Good luck on that! How's the new engine running?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited October 19

So there is some back and forth with Bendix on this; I should get a final verdict on Monday. The G5 isn’t compatible with the KSN770 and Bendix isn’t supporting it anymore. There was some talk of trading it in and upgrading to the Avidyne unit at a steeply discounted price, but Pat is working on that for me and I don’t know yet. I have an MX20 in the panel that isn’t doing anything, but it becomes a bridge between the KSN770 and the G5, so he can make it work with what I have. Basically, if Bendix comes back with a sweet offer, I’ll upgrade the GPS. If not, I’ll stick with what I have for now.

Engine is running perfect! I saw you getting into your Arrow on Friday and I was jealous that mine was all torn apart in Burlington Air Center’s Hangar!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• I wish I had seen you, you could have come with. I just went out to the Mississippi and back, company would have been good. I just finished on the first part of my door restoration and was test flying it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I drove up just as you were putting your seatbelt on. I didn’t want to be a distraction so I took off for the grocery store and enjoyed some beverages at home. I do think we need to do an informal fly-in for lunch on an upcoming Friday.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Roger that!! There's a Friday coming up soon. And MikeJJ might want to join us. He and I met at Shawano last week for lunch. And others, too!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!