From the magazine article 20 vfr safer tips

While reading this article, well written by Bill Cox, I was reminded of a situation during take off several years ago. It was in that twilight of sundown on a VFR evening. I was climbing out and turning westbound for what was to be an easy hour flight home. I was adjusting radios and other in cockpit activities when I looked outside again and the lights of the towns were lined up in front of me. But they all appeared to be wrong, as if I was inverted. I looked at the instruments and everything was correct, so I looked back outside and sure enough I was still upside down. Trusting my instruments rather than my now suspect senses I got back on instruments and continued the climb as if it was an IFR process. I stayed on instruments until cruise altitude and speed were stabilized. I dared to look out one more time and everything was as it should be without the sense of vertigo.
Bill's article talks about night VFR (which I have many cross country hours) and he is spot on, it is different than day VFR. During basic private training my CFI was working on his double I and he used that to practice instrument training on me. As a result I got more instrument instruction than would normally be expected in a basic course. I always appreciated that fact and the added ability it gave to my flying. I have always loved flying at night, for all of the potential issues which it brings, it is generally smoother and quieter than day flying. Sometimes it gets so quiet that I have checked to see if center is still there, which has generated several others acknowledging their "relief" also when the response was affirmative.

Comments

• Thanks so much for your post.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!