1978 PA32RT300 Back up Gear extender leaking.

Noticed some hydraulic fluid on the hangar floor and traced it back to the back up extender under the middle seats. It's not coming from where the hydraulic lines make connection but seems to be internal in that little manifold that all the hydraulic lines connect to. Is there an O-ring inside that might have went bad and can be replaced? Parts manual doesn't even have a part number for this specific part nor a blow up of the internals so I'm hoping to just replace an O-ring. Has anyone had this problem?

Shawn Gehres
s.gehres64@gmail.com

Comments

• I'm sure you're right about the O ring failing. If you don't have a part number than I would recommend calling Aviall or McFarlane to see what they can do for you. If you don't have contact info, let me know and I'll get it for you.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott Sherer. Truth is I have no idea what's inside the manifold? I was just assuming some kind of O-ring. Thanks for the response, I'll let you know what I find out once it's opened up.

Shawn Gehres
    s.gehres64@gmail.com

• I'm on Piper number 8 over 50 years and if it's leaking, it's probably an O ring, lol. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I had the same problem in my 1976 lance. Leaking Hoof valve. After much research found the numbers for the replacement O rings making this an inexpensive repair.
    The 2 o rings inside are MS28775-006 or pipers part number 484-675
    The shaft seal is MS28778-6 or Pipers part number 484-951
    Hope this helps

• davelance thank you for the info. Is the "hoof valve" where all the landing gear hydraulic lines connect in the back up landing gear extender?

Shawn Gehres
    s.gehres64@gmail.com

• Yes, I believe that is it in the diagram.
    It is hooked up to #2 that pulls it in and out depending on the airspeed.
    The hoof valve is no longer available (it is named hoof as the was the name of the company that made it) They are no longer in business I understand.
    You will not find a parts break down for it as piper sold it as a unit and claimed non repairable.
    It was very difficult to get those part numbers as piper did not want to give them out.
    They are very easy to replace though I am told by my shop who did it once I got them these numbers
    Good luck

• So after tearing into this valve I found that one of the three O-rings had clearly outlived it's life. Thank you both for the advice. Keeping my fingers crossed that this settles the issue.

Shawn Gehres
    s.gehres64@gmail.com

• I'm sure it will. Happy holidays and let us know how it works out :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Glad to be able to help
    Cheers

• Just rebuilt mine. Works like a charm. Use aviation ms -6 numbers as the ones bought in the large oring kits are too big. Order extras because you can break them trying to install. Coat them with 5606 when installing. The I have 2 hoof valves with new seals if anyone is interested.

• That was the first thing I had to fix when I got my 76 Arrow. While flying it home from Washington to So. Cal. the ammeter would bump up every few minutes meaning the gear pump came on. Mine wasn't leaking but I found one of the O-rings cut in half. Easy fix. That was in 1980 and no problem since.
    Austin

• I have a 69 PA28-R200 experiencing similar issues. I want to start with rebuilding the hoof valve to preclude internal leakage. However, if Tmccall has one available that is already rebuilt, that might be better. Do you still have one? What is your price? I will check back here but would be more convenient to email me direct at wreschke@san.rr.com

thank you

Bill