Gas Seat Cylinder

Hello all,
Bob the Needy here again. While our magic carpet is getting its new panel, I've got the seats out. One of the front seats doesn't go down, it is stuck in the high position. When I looked at the cylinder, I saw the lever doesn't make full contact with the little valve stem. When I stuck a spacer in between, the valve compressed more, but not quite all the way. The seat didn't move. How do I troubleshoot this? Does the valve need to be depressed flush with the cylinder body or is the thing jammed?

Bob Marks
N777FG P28RT-201T
Retired ATC SoCal TRACON/LA Center

Comments

• Hi Bob,
    You can lube and move the shaft if you can or you can buy a new one from Knots2U.com. They aren't very expensive and very easy to install. I've done many in my various Pipers over the years.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• More than likely your seat is corroded where the rotation in the seat mechanism occurs. There are 6-8 areas to lube. I use 3 in1 oil and a rubber mallet to break the seat mechanism free. Just put drops of the oil on all the rotating connections to soak in, remove the gas spring and tap the Assy in the direction you need to break it free. Then continue to work the Assy until it moves freely. This is very common. New struts are approx 180 at Spruce or knots2u.

• Thanks Scott and Tmcall, I'll give it a try but already got a cylinder in my wish list on Spruce.

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T

• I picked up two new seat struts from Wentworth at OSHKOSH last summer, at a very good price. I took both seats out of my Warrior and replaced the old dead struts at home. While I had them out I did multiple adjustments and tightening of bolts and screws, then lubed everything. Getting the old struts out is very easy, getting the new ones was hard, it took a good deal of time and patience. But it all turned out good.

• Thanks! I'm going this year with the Cherokees to Oshkosh.

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T

• Bob, if you know you want to get the new struts from Wentworth at Oshkosh, I recommend you give them a phone call in June and ask them to bring some for you. What they bring to each show is sometimes rather random. bob

• Thanks Bob!

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T