Panel Upgrades Can Be Ugly

2»

Comments

• Quick update, exceptional frustration, and since I'm retired from ATC I can't terrify people with, "I have a number for you that won't fit in the transponder."

After the power up, basically the G3x Touch refused to recognize the Garmin255s. We spent DAYS on the phone with Garmin trying to figure it out. All sorts of scary options, including scrapping the configuration, were floated.

My layman's understanding of the issue:

It turns out, for whatever reason, the G3x Touch comes out of the box ready to recognize 5 inputs. But the default configuration setting out of the box is that there are already 3 MFDs hooked up. The installer needs to go in to an obscure config page and manually set those to "OFF". Voila. Problem fixed.

So for those of you who are getting a G3x Touch and then have components that refuse to talk to each other, start there. You will thank me with free rides, accolades, and parades in my honor.

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T
    Retired ATC SoCal TRACON/LA Center

• Thanks for your comments, Bob.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• She's all done! Before and after...........what a journey thanks to all for your encouragement and support!

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T

• Wow! Unbelievable. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Really nice and sleek panel :)

1967 PA28-140

• edited July 2020

Your panel looks fantastic, very smart layout.
    Your comment about device configurations just goes to show how complex the new electronic devices are and the knowledge required by the installer to make it right. Garmin engineers are great and have developed terrific capabilities that lurk in the setup, but experienced installers are key.
    Congratulations and enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

PA-31
    KHIO
    Garmin Everything

• Wow! Looks fantastic.

• Awesome transformation!!!
  • Here's a pro shot:

Bob Marks
    N777FG P28RT-201T

• Wow!! VERY nice!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Great looking panel...thanks for sharing.