ADS-B Recommendations

Hello All!

I apologize in advance as this topic is likely redundant. My plane is a 1977 Archer II equipped with a Garmin 530 non WAAS and Bendix/King KT76A transponder. I am seeking recommendations on the most practical solution for ADS-B compliance that also offers WAAS capabilities. My initial thought was to upgrade the 530 to WAAS and install the tailBeacon for ADS-B out compliance. However, considering the cost of the aforementioned I thought maybe a more practical inclusive solution may be available. Also, I intend to move up to a more complex aircraft in the next few years and sell the Archer.

Thanks in advance for your input.

TJ

KVPZ

Comments

• Hi TJ,
    Not to worry about your question! Sure, we've talked about this before but each case is different and we're glad to have you on our forum and as a member.
    First, the Tailbeacon is awesome and I recommend it highly as an ADS-B Out solution. Go for it. It's simple, cheap (in airplane dollars lol) and easy on the labor budget.
    Second, the 530 has a limited life expectancy at this point, WAAS upgrade or not. Sell it now while it has value and look into what thousands of us have done. The 530 should get you at least $5k. Then buy yourself an Avidyne 540. The 540 will have an almost zero install cost because it's slide in compatible with the Garmin 530. That will give you the most modern technology at around $8k to $8k, installed. Can't beat that for a large screen WAAS device :)

Just my opinion.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited February 9

Scott, Although I would like to replace my 530W with the Avidyne, it is not that simple. My 530W is connected to a GDL 88, FS 210, G5s, Sirius SXAR 1, Fuel Scan 450, STec autopilot and Connext with my iPad mini4. I would be VERY surprised if replacing the 530W with the 540 would be a true "plug n' play" swap!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• I'd be willing to bet that it will. On the 540 webpage is a list of everything that works with it. Check it out, Avidyne is known for open connectivity!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• It would be interesting to "borrow" a 540 and see if it works! Care to lend me yours? :)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Oh, and the $$ to buy a 540 if it did work! ;)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I will contribute this: I upgraded to a 540 a few months ago...it is the most intuitive GPS I have ever used (way easier than the GNS-430 I trained with). So much information available, and it integrates with my engine monitor, G5s, etc....”cross 20 southeast of JOT at 4000”...I plug it in and get an audible chime when it’s time to descend. Holds are so easy. I feel like I am flying IFR on easy mode around Chicago.

I am not saying you need it, but if you get the 540 it will absolutely not disappoint you.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim M...Of that I have no doubt! But with the other devices that are integrated with my 530W, I would definitely want to "try before I buy". It is worth thinking about for sure. As Scott pointed out, there is a market now, albeit getting softer, for used 530W units so it wouldn't be a total financial overload to swap but I did just come off an engine-ectomy so I need to watch the $$ closely...

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• My avionics shop consulted with Avidyne about swapping my Garmin 530W for the EFD 540. The 540 doesn't support the GDL-88D box so I would have to use an Avidyne ADS-B device or buy a new 1090ES transponder. So, I will stick with what I have...works great and saves $$.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• OK Jim T. I'm glad you did the research. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, I have just about convinced myself to do a new interior this summer; i.e. side panels only since I had already done the floor carpeting. BUT it is with more than just a little trepidation!! On your first such venture about how long did it take to do the side panels? Rather than take up a lot of forum space you can e-mail me directly if you have time. I have A LOT of questions and haven't even ordered the material yet!! Thanks :)

Jim

arrow76r@comcast.net

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• edited February 12

Hi Jim,
    Working part-time, an hour or two a day three or four times a week I think I have spent about a month for the whole thing: headliner, window molding, side panels, carpet, misc stuff. The side panels are very easy and probably the easiest part of the project. You may need to do a bit of trimming here and there but they are mostly done. It goes fast with the carpet already done. :) Here's my project rules document.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, Scott!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200