PA-32-300 Panel Update

Took 2 months, but I’m finally back in the air. Our ‘76 Cherokee Six 300 was a mashup of original gear and 44 years of outdated updates. Exterior and interior are in great shape (14 year old Airtex interior).

I wanted a modern panel for light-medium IFR. A full glass panel didn’t make financial sense (and after flying the DC-8, I still enjoy steam gauges).

We removed the Sandel EHSI, EDM700, King 155, STEC altitude preselect, Shadin fuel flow, VSI, both horizons.

We struggled over buying an Avidyne IFD540 or overhaul the GNS 530W. Ended up staying with the 530; it came back from Garmin like new.

Added an Aspen 1000 Pro Max, Garmin 255 Nav/Comm, EDM-830, RCAllen Standby Horizon, Super Clock, JPI audio panel, intercom jacks for all the seats, Stratus USB power outlet on panel and in the back for the kids.

One of my favorite things is a jack on the panel where I can plug in my Sporty’s PJ2 handheld antenna. Connects to the #2 antenna on the belly.

Now, if I can just remember how to land this thing!

Ken Hoke
1976 PA-32-300 Cherokee Six
KLOU

Comments

• Looking good!!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ken, I plumbed on your DC-8 a few times. I bet that fuel system is a little less complicated on the Cherokee 6.
  • Hi John, small world! 4 tanks on our old Six. I wouldn’t mind having an engineer!

Ken Hoke
    KLOU

• Drop Rise, Drop Rise
  • Your vacuum. Gage reading seems low s/b around 5 inches

• I don't see any vacuum instruments on that panel.

Lon Stratton
    n7xa.com

• No vacuum instruments. The plan was to remove the vacuum pump until we discovered it was providing warm air for the air/oil separator. Decided to keep the pump and separator since my belly has been oil-free. Since there isn't any demand for vacuum pressure, the suction gauge reads low.

Ken Hoke
    KLOU