Wing Skin Repair help

A shop doing some avionics check damage my passenger wing. Apparently a tech slipped and fell offf my wing while holding the passenger seat. The seat hit my wing two small holes from the seat. Anyway what do you think my options are? I’ve got to negotiate the repairs with the shop. They will do whatever I want. What are repairs options?

Comments

• You'll need to ask your A&P/IA for a professional opinion. However, I'll send this to our association A&P, Erich Rempert for his opinion. Stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Of coarse I’ll get my A&P involved. Just wanna know of previous experience. Patches? Reskin? Also do wing walk while drilling rivets?

• Hi, we're waiting for a reply from our A&P Erich. Regarding your question about wing walk. I did mine last year. About $6k if memory serves.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks. Did they remove wing when replaced the walk?

• No, they removed the rivets, put in two new plates and re-riveted. It took two guys two days to do it. When done they put black wing walk compound on the wing.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Here's a reply from our A&P Erich Rempert:

If you trust the shop, have them replace the skin with a skin from Piper and make a log entry as "parts replacement" not "repair of damage".

If you don't trust the shop, bring it to a shop you do trust and have the above accomplished.

I'd at least alert your insurance agent about the situation in case they need to become involved. This will be paid by the shops insurance not yours.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the reply. I have decided for multiple reasons to have a repair done with approved engineering drawings. It is such a small issue I just want it repaired without 150 day lead time for skin. The holes are like vampire bite. Two small punctures with no contact to any ribs. It is my experience that for resale some potential buyers will not even look if skins replaced for any reason (me included). A repair this small is not a major and it is just like an antenna patch on a pressurized aircraft. I made this decision based on discussion with my A&P who I have known and worked with for more than 15 years. I am also happy the avionics shop ( only shop to ever touch my panel) will continue to support my aircraft at a discounted rate from here forward. They are a Nationally known shop with several locations. Unless something happens to change this is my approach to an unfortunate issue.

• If you should decide otherwise, there is a new skin available that could be shipped in 2-3 days. just sayin'...

• edited July 2020

Post your contact number and I’ll call to discuss the new skin or shoot me a direct message or email bocapilot@hotmail.com

• I agree with your shops assessment. If there is none of the typical wing walk skin doubler cracks I too would just install a nice small patch on that area.

• Follow up to my repair. Saw the post in printed magazine so here is follow up. I decided to have a flush patch repair. A skin was available but the patch was a much better option. The amount of time needed for a skin replacement was a consideration. Also if I didn’t want to take advantage of a relationship I have with the avionics shop. If I had caused the holes it would have been a patch. I am keeping this Dakota with no plans of selling it. I have digital pictures for the logs and proper log entry for repair. Look at pictures and see how a flush patch is done.

• Follow up to my repair. Saw the post in printed magazine so here is follow up. I decided to have a flush patch repair. A skin was available but the patch was a much better option. The amount of time needed for a skin replacement was a consideration. Also if I didn’t want to take advantage of a relationship I have with the avionics shop. If I had caused the holes it would have been a patch. I am keeping this Dakota with no plans of selling it. I have digital pictures for the logs and proper log entry for repair. Look at pictures and see how a flush patch is done.

• Wow, you'd never know. A+ job. Unbelievable. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Beautiful work!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Stellar work!
    How long did the repair take?

• One week to do repair. Start to finish! I’m happy with the results of an unfortunate situation.
  • It's really nice to have major projects like yours done and over with. Congrats!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!