Pre Buy

Hello All. I am a new member, and I am about to buy my first Piper, a 1976 Cherokee 6 260. I will have a pre buy done by a local facility in Minneapolis. Being completely unfamiliar with the must check items on these planes, can someone tell me the top 5 or 10 must check items on the PA 32-260 so I can talk intelligently with the shop I hire to perform the pre buy? Thanks, and I look forward to being more involved with the Piper Owner Society. Mike

Comments

• Hi Mike,
    First, watch my webinar for new owners: https://piperowner.org/webinar-what-every-arrow-owner-needs-to-know-by-scott-sherer/ Then, have them look for corrosion. And then look for corrosion some more. Mostly under the back seats. Window and door leaks are the primary cause. Anything else can be fixed with money. But do a good job on the engine. The avionics can always be replaced with modern, reliable and new so don't worry too much about that. I've owned 8 Pipers so I'm here to help you, especially with restoration.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm also looking for someone to do a Pre buy, but mine's in KOLM, WA. Anyone have a recomendation?

• I am servicing my plane at Regal Air KPAE. They are not exactly the cheapest outfit around, but very thorough.

• The closest Piper Service center is:
    WESTERN AIRCRAFT, INC
    4300 S KENNEDY ST
    BOISE ID 83705 US

Perhaps a member knows a good shop that's closer.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!