3-Blade Propeller for Piper Pa-28 Dakota Now FAA certified

Does anyone have any experience in converting to a composite 3 blade prop? I am suspicious in the increased cruise speed.

https://www.aviationpros.com/engines-components/aircraft-engines/propellers-rotors-blades/press-release/21155042/mtpropeller-3blade-propeller-for-piper-pa28-dakota-now-faa-certified

Art Schmidt
1980 Piper Dakota
Great Falls, MT

Comments

• A five percent increase in climb performance and 2 - 3 kts in cruise performance isn't enough to be concerned with. My guess is that the aircraft that they're using for testing have been re-rigged to perfection and the airplanes are near perfect. Your plane and my plane have been around a while and aren't perfect. We don't have the tools to even see those small improvements. However, MT props are very good and the company is A+.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• MT blades help shift balance aft and might give you a small empty weight improvement. I put a three blade on my 77 Turbo Arrow 10 years ago and recovered the empty weight I lost with a standby vacuum system. Also, since prop is low inertia, engine starts quicker and stops rotating quicker at shutdown.