Saratoga TC Tach Time

I feel like this is a fairly dumb question, and I am probably looking right past the obvious; but hopefully someone can help me out.

I just purchase a 1999 Saratoga TC; but I cannot seem to figure out where to find the "Tach Time" of the aircraft. It has the vertical stack of engine instruments with the DDMP on top. Because of the small tachometer dial, it does not have the common Tach Timer that I am used to having in my older Pipers. In the maintenance manual under the "Time" definition, it says "Aircraft time, flight hours, or aircraft hours are the “Hobbs Time” shown on, or calculated from, the installed 'Hour Meter.' ". Does that mean that there is not a Tach Timer in this aircraft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

1999 Saratoga II TC (KCFO)

Denver, CO

Comments

• There should be a small Hobbs hour meter on the panel. However, if you can't find it then it's hidden. Call the last mechanic that last worked on the plane and ask him where it is. His contact information would be in your aircraft log book on the last page filled out. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I see the Hobbs meter on the right side of the panel, but I figured there would be a Tach time meter as well since that is how maintenance is tracked.

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

Denver, CO

• The Hobbs meter may be all that you have. Does your log book reference Hobbs or Tach?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Oh! I did not think to look there. I will check it out when I get out there this week. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

Denver, CO