Eliza: Pygmalion overhaul
I've started the process of overhauling
Eliza, my 1965 PA28-180(160, upgraded engine.)
An avionics and autopilot upgrade of course, immediately snowballed:
- "If we have to take most of the interior, we might as well replace it.
- "This overhead console is illegal, might as well replace that."
- "I guess while we are at it, all this plastic is junk"
- "Shoulder harness seat belts would be nice..."
In the end:
- Airtex Interior and insulation
- Alpha aviation inertial real shoulder harnesses.
- Almost entirely new plastic.
- Last Gillen-phx overhead trim STC'd handle. Ever.
- LED lamps all around.
- Complete Avionics upgrade.
- Paint and refurb all metal trim pieces.
- New side and rear windows.
Currently, we are stripping the plane down. We have made a first pass with scrapers and Xylene. I tested several solvents. I refuse to work with MEK, and the paint strippers are all pretty noxious. Xylene makes the glue peel off in sheets.
Next pass is red scotch brite, and then a blowout and vaccum before taping things off for a Zinc Phosphate priming. I'm sure people have some opinions regarding Zinc Chromium, but I have some strong feelings about hexavalent chromium.