LED Lighting

I read your article on LED Lighting for Pipers and thought I would give your suggestions a try. I could not, however, get Aircraft Spruce to find the Part Number 11-07512 12V for the wingtip position light, and no part close to $34.75. Would you please confirm the part number and suggest a number for the red LED BULB (if they make one)?

Comments

• Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you. I look forward to doing these upgrades.

• I have been watching the LED issue for some time. Liked your LED article. However, You did not mention two "issues" that would mean much to me before putting LEDs in (other than cost of course) interference with the electronics (RFI) in the cockpit and the final results on the ammeter. Did you consider putting an LED on the tail?

• Hi, I finally put an led on the tail. That gives me an led landing light and three position lights and my landing gear panel lamps are led, too. I did not measure the current before and after. I can tell you that the bump with incandescent lights is noticeably higher than with the LED's.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The LED’s in the panel and Nav lights were installed just as you advised, and are operating great Thank you for your guidance.

Do I need to make any logbook entry?

• No, you don't. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• will those part numbers work on a 1970 Pa 28?

• They should. If you take a few pics of the lights on your plane and post them here we should be able to make a final determination. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• new member, where do i find LED article

• Hi, it just ran in the November 2020 issue. Here's a link.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey @Scott Sherer ! Great article, thanks so much! I'm about to pick up some of these LED lights! Did you replace the strobe? Or know of an upgrade outside of the direct replacement (Looks like one of these bulbs is $230 🥴).

• Hi and thanks for the post! I haven't done the strobes but I'm about to install a Whelen beacon on the belly. My plane didn't come with a beacon for some reason so one is going in soon. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• green wing tip LED is an amazing addition .... now I need to do the tail lights and covers ... lol .. where is the link with the bulb numbers

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• thank you ..appreciate all the help ...

• One thing to remember about replacing the landing gear lamps with LEDs is that they will no longer dim when the nav lights are turned on. LEDs work on voltage, not current which is the way the brightness of the incandescent lamps were dimmed either by rheostat or the different transistor circuits. That means they are BRIGHT at night!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• I’m glad you explained that because step 3 of the Emergency Gear Procedures in the Arrow POH is to check that the panel lights are off if you don’t see 3 green indicator lights. It looks like the LEDs give you one less thing to worry about. (That still leaves you with 8 things to worry about)
    Dave Perricone
  • Dave, you certainly won't miss them at night! I recall missing seeing the incandescent ones on one night departure over a big city and wondered why the rate of climb was not normal!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• I think it is a great feature the gear lights stay bright. Since the NAV lights are also converted to LED you can leave them on all the time too.
    Most panels with any modern electronics in them are quite bright even with dimming. The extra light from the "way down there" gear lights will not be much of an additional distraction.
    Will be interesting to see if the gear switches last longer. Right now the current in the circuit is determined by the wattage on the incandescent bulb and would be much less with LED. The current is not much to begin with but those switches have a hard life too.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Scott, I noticed that you put an LED light on the tail of your Arrow. Did you just replace the lamp in your old light or did you install a new light fixture? My mechanic says the the rudder may have to be removed and rebalanced if I replace the whole fixture but not if it just the lamp.

Could you advise on the correct replacement lamp? I fly a 1973 Arrow.

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you. I am sorry to be a pest, but what did you opt to do with your beacon light?

• Hi and no worries :) The bulb is probably in my hangar. Do you need it?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• So I order in the led landing gear lights, I went to put the first one in and cannot get the original bulb out? I had plyers on the base of the bulb and a no go. Was there ever a one piece landing gear bulb? Or should I eat some spinach!!
    Also the only exterior incandescent bulb left is the beacon on top of the tail, is there a replacement for this one? 78 arrow 3
  • I've had problems getting my landing gear bulbs out, too. Eat some spinach ( are we old, or what? lol) and put a drop oil on the bulb

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Please resubmit the link to your November 2020 article. Thanks

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• On closer inspection I was pulling on the base of the lamp holder, not the bulb LOL a knife to get it started and they come right out. Guess I just need new glasses.
  • Two hours of shop time will pay for a pair of glasses, lol. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!