PA28R-200 Barn Find

Here are a couple photos of my new Arrow. It hasn’t flown since 1997 until yesterday. So far it has 4 new Lycoming Cylinders installed by my IA in the barn, a new vacuum pump, new mechanical fuel pump, new electric fuel pump, new batteries, and new tires. It is now in annual and airworthy but there is still a lot of work to be done on the panel.

Comments

• Looks fabulous!!! Congrats. :) Is there anything I can do to help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Probably a lot, I’m fairly new to airplane ownership. I bought my 172 last November. It’s up foe sale now. The big thing I’m wrestling with at the moment is what to do for radios and nav. I’m leaning heavily to the GNX375 but that cuts significantly into my remaining budget. All the little stuff on the plane that’s been sitting for so long is starting to add up, not surprising.

So to answer your question, I’m sure there is lots you can help with, I’m just not sure what 😎
  • That's a very good radio...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited November 2020
    Packman; first of all, beautiful plane and awesome that you're getting her airworthy!

My tip: separate your needs vs wants to meet your budget. If you want the GNX375, but you have working KX155's or even a working 170, you can fly with what you have, and upgrade later.

After a full rebuild on my plane (new interior, new engine, ok it was new everything), I was out of money, so the paint job had to wait 7 years. I caught a lot of flak from my buddies about my "ugly duckling" during that time, especially since I used to do paint work, but the good news is the FAA has no regulations stating your airplane must be pretty.

Ask lots of questions on this forum. Many of us have already covered the ground you're on (guys like Scott have covered it 8 times or more!) and are very willing to share our insight as to what works, and what to avoid. It's also the most friendly Piper forum I've been on. We'll even suggest the best whiskies to enjoy when you're done working for the day. :)

Having good cylinders/jugs, fuel pump, etc., is definitely a NEED, so it appears you're on the right track.

Do you have working radios/nav in the plane now?

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff, nicely put. :) I just got home from my fifth day of replacing the carpet. Where's that Jack Daniels?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks guys. Griff, to answer your question, there is one functioning radio but no intercom. It’s a KX170B. The transponder isn’t functioning, and there is no ADSB.

The motor has 1100 SMOH, and 38 since Tear down for a prop strike. (Very interesting story there, prop strike while taxiing with no one in the airplane.) New cam, crank, and Hartzell 3 blade 38 hours ago. It’s been sitting for quite some time, hence the need for the new Lycoming Cylinders. It is in annual now and flew from Defiance, OH to Clintonville, WI on Monday.

Even though it’s in annual, a lot of the flexible hoses are older And my IA has convinced me to replace them all. That project is starting next week.

The GNX 375 is most likely going to go in, but probably not until January. It solves the ADSB problem and gets me an IFR GPS. Since I am working on my instrument rating and plan to use the airplane for trips from WI to TN and OK, it makes sense to get that done soon. A new CDI with Glideslope will also go in.

I am open to installing KX155’s and have a line on some yellow tagged ones at a local avionics shop. I have access to borrow an MX170, currently in the Com2 slot as it was for the trip home. I’m also considering the GNC255 but that may have to wait for a while. I’d like to do a pair of AV30’s again that may have to wait for a while as well. It kind of depends on how much my 172 sells for.

Finally, a new audio panel with intercom and push to talk will go in the same time as the 375. I’m leaning toward the PS Engineering PMA 450B.

That said, I plan to fly it, at least enough to get checked out, pretty much as the panel is now. Plus a functioning transponder and portable intercom. 😎

• Packman:
    It sounds like you have a good game plan, and know what you need vs want. Keep us updated please, you have an awesome project! Post lots of pics!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Nice pic, Packman! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Packman;
    OK, you MUST tell us the story of a prop strike while taxiing, with no one in the airplane.?.? That's got to be a good story!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• It appears that I am the third owner of this airplane. The first owner was a grocery store and the second owners purchased the airplane in 1978. Their names are Walter and Shelby. Apparently Walt started the airplane, set the emergency brake and proceeded to get out of the airplane for some reason. Either he didn’t set the emergency brake well or he disengaged it when he climbed out. In either case the airplane started to taxi. This airplane was on a farm from 1978 until I brought it to Clintonville Wisconsin last week. So when it started taxing it was on basically some type of a field near a woods. Once they realized what was happening Shelby attempted to catch the airplane. She explains that she was able to get her hands onto the wing but wasn’t able to get up onto the wing despite her best efforts. Eventually the airplane rolled into the woods damaging the left wing skin, cowl, prop and a few other things. The motor was torn down, new cam and crank installed, and the rebuilt Hartzell 3 blade was installed.

Their son explains that he thought the airplane was just about off the ground before it went into the woods. If that’s the case, I think theres some parts of the story missing. 😮
  • edited November 2020
    Packman;

Your airplane comes with something most of our planes don't have...a really cool background story!

Glad you're getting the plane in the air again. Planes are meant to be flown. :)

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Hmmm. So who else has a good history story of their airplane? (I do, too)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Do tell. Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• In 2004 I went to Venice, FL to look at a Seneca II that was for sale. I ultimately bought it for $65k. I handed the owner a cashiers check, he handed me the title and said "Oh, by the way". Huh?! That's not what I wanted to hear from him. It turns out my Seneca was the airplane that Mohammad Atta trained in for 9/11. I ultimately changed the registration from N769HA to N344TB.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Interestingly enough, I have actually purchased three airplanes in the last twelve months. The first a C172 that I got my ticket in, the second a 1968 Piper Arrow that I bought to part out and put the 180 Lycoming in my C172. I ended up selling that one to my IA because he was not ok with me parting it out, he felt it was too nice. But the 172 I purchased in 2019 also has a story:

The previous owner, Mr. B, met his wife in the early 1980s. Unfortunately she was already engaged to someone else. He became friends with both of them. A few years later the now married couple was in a bad car wreck, he ended up ok but she ended up a quadriplegic. They stuck together for a couple years but ultimately he left her. Mr. B, still in love with her, married her sometime in the early 1990s. He had always wanted to get his private pilots license so she ended up buying him the ground school course, I believe for Christmas one year but I’m not 100% on that fact. One thing lead to another and they ended up buying a 1961 172B sometime around 2006. He ended up flying with her In the right seat until 2019 when it was clear that their lives needed to steer away from airplane ownership, and that is when I met them. Two of the sweetest people you will ever meet!

• Very nice story... :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Looking good!!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Anyone happen to have some landing gear micro switches? I need 3 more. They were ordered from Aircraft Spruce who does not have them and doesn’t know when they will get some. I’ve tried a couple other sources with the same luck. Any ideas?
  • Aviall. :) Let me know if that pans out. If not, I'll search around for you.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• New rotors, pads, new fuel pump, and all new hoses are being installed. Most of the ones being replaced are believed to be original.
  • Packman, you have now joined the new airplane club! We're all getting new planes, one part at a time, lol. Keep up the good work

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I was able to find some switches, they should be here Friday. Landing gear actuators have been overhauled. Still have the front strut to rebuild, alternator belt to change, bleed the brakes, cycle the gear, and then “just” the avionics.

• Ahhh, the old aviation adage...90% complete, and 90% remaining. :)

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Well today was anti climatic! She was supposed to fly to my home hangar at KATW from KCLI so I can get checked out in it while I wait to collect all the avionics for the upgrade later this winter. My A and P was going to deliver it but it developed a gear light issue on the test flight, (the gear in transit light would not go out.). He cycled the gear and ultimately ended up landing back at KCLI, fortunately as the rebuilt from Aircraft Spruce mechanical fuel pump also started leaking. A replacement fuel pump is on the way and he’s digging into the gear in transit light issue. He cannot duplicate it on the ground. In any case, he has some ideas but cannot move forward until the fuel pump arrives. Hopefully he can get it resolved so I can fly this weekend.

• I haven’t posted in a while as there hasn’t been a lot to report. However, I have been flying her regularly while waiting for the avionics. I’ve been able to earn my complex endorsement and meet my insurance requirements as of last weekend. That said, my mechanic is going to use it for his CFI checkride on Tuesday. As such, the “missing” AI needs to be addressed before then so one of the AV30s was installed today 😎

The rest of the avionics install should begin later this week. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the month!
  • Wow, looks really good! What a difference a half century makes. I wonder what it will look like in another half century.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Packman. I really enjoyed reading about your makeover. I love Arrows. Had lots of fun flying them from KRHV to KOSH when I lived out in Sillycone Valley :). Really solid airplane. Hopefully my pre-buy will be good this time. I may be flying up to the KENW area this summer.. Keep moving forward. If you haven't you should think about starting a log book on maintenance things you do. Get you AP-IA to sign off on experience. Someday you could have enough time to get your own A&P

• Digitalpilot, I am old enough to know that I am not a good mechanic. I can wrench on things as long as there is a competent person nearby. I am not that competent person. I’ll stick to left seat operations and let the pros do their thing on the mechanics! 😎