Panel cover replacement

Any suggestions for a 1964 PA-28 180

Comments

• PAST and Knots2U.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• If you have the parts manual and can identify the part number you might be able to find a used replacement. it is not that expensive to get a custom match on paint either.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• If your originals are still in decent condition, you can add a vinyl wrap to them and give them a new look. I used a grey carbon fiber print and I think it looks pretty good. I get lots of compliments.

Kurt Johnson

• You're about to get another compliment. Absolutely beautiful!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• HI Kurt, it looks fabulous. But what's the trick to getting the wrap in the indented areas around instruments? Does it stretch or do you need to heat it?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, a picture is a whole lot easier than describing it.

The blue is the vinyl.
    The gray ring represents the instrument ring/cutout.

I use an exacto knife to cut the center of the circle out and make relief cuts (red lines). Then I grab each tab and wrap it around to the back side. I found it easier to lay a heat gun on the bench so I could use both hands to hold the part and work the wrap at the same time while holding the necessary distance from the heat gun to keep it soft and pliable.

Maybe I should start a panel wrapping service for the folks on the forum. By the way... I'm currently upgrading my panel and the overlays in the picture will be available if someone wants them.

Kurt Johnson

• You're very good at it. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Your panel cover looks great. I was wondering where you had the eyebrow cover above the panel done though? My Arrow has that eyebrow cover as an integral part of the plastic panel cover. We recently had a panel upgrade which of course is great but now we really need to update the panel cover and the eyebrow which both look pretty sad.

• Knots 2U, Ltd. was about $340.

Kurt Johnson

• Yes indeed, Knots2U!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!