Suggestions for insulation

If anyone has replaced the insulation in their plane and has a recommendation please let me know. The mechanic emailed me and suggested that while we have everything torn out we should buy some insulation and he would show us how to do it so we can save some money. I think maybe I should be worried that the guy who is doing all this work on our plane is now feeling so bad for us that he is trying to find ways to save us money.

I am pretty sure we have not replaced one of the tires and the seatbelts seem to be ok so far.

Anyway - if there are any suggestions for what to use please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• I've used Airtex Interiors rubber sheets on all of my airplanes. They are foil on one side and adhesive on the other and they come in both 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott. Looking at their website I think you are refers to the product that is listed as soundproofing. Is that what you used in place of insulation or did you put insulation in as well. The reason I ask is that Airtex also has sells insulation that is 3/4 inch thick.

Hope the question makes sense - basically is the soundproofing an insulation substitute or is it in addition to insulation?

Thanks
  • Aircraft spruce has some options. Some are experimental only. The plain batting is commented as FAA approved and would be light

The material in the upper right would be nice but there is a comment that it is not FAA approved. I am not sure this is the case as it is very common in commercial aviation
    http://www.orcon.com/fiberglass_and_felt_insulation

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Yes, the 1/4" soundproofing is the stuff I use. It's thick, rubber and a perfect insulator. The inside is foil covered. You'll like the stuff, it's easy to use and as close to a perfect product as I can find.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Got it. The mechanic suggested Aircraft Spruce but I saw that some of the products were not approved and did not want to end up with the wrong product

Thanks to you both for pointing me I. The right direction
  • I used SoundEx in mine. Insulation properties were great.
    http://www.soundexproducts.com/index.html

• I used Soundex also. I don't know how it compares to other products, but it worked great in my plane, and was an easy install. It can now be purchased at Aircraft Spruce as well.

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks for the information- appreciate it
  • Getting Soundex put in our Dakota as we speak. It’s going through a total interior redo. Wish I had time to do it, but am hiring everything done.

Art Schmidt
    1980 Piper Dakota
    Great Falls, MT