Working on my Arrow! Latest updates :)

Here's a couple of pics from my Arrow restoration. New yoke covers and new Airtex Interior. Checkout the new armrest! :)

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Beautiful work Scott! We expect nothing less. ;)

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• That looks great. You set the bar very high. Hope our stuff comes out half as good
  • Can we hire you Scott?
  • Scott - admiring the bulb and hose - is this one of those new-fangled armrests that takes your blood pressure after ATC issues some convoluted full-route clearance? ; - )

• Hi all. The bulb is for a Bob Fields Aerocessories inflatable door seal. The plane is nice and quiet with no door leaks. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,

Where did you get the yoke covers?

• Yoke Up Interiors in Pennsylvania. https://yokeupinteriors.com/seating/ Tell them you found out from Piper Owner Society.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• OMG, I can't believe I missed this until now! I have been holding my breath waiting to see your yoke covers and I'm as blue as your lacing!

Those look Fantastic... my legacy instrumentation and my yokes are high on the upgrade list. Those are just too pretty!!!

I have been looking on the YokeUp Interiors website and can't seem to find pricing or turnaround times so I'll bother you, if you don't mind disclosing?

My next annual is in April so I'll probably be down for at least a week... might be a good time for this upgrade!

• edited March 21

Also, Did you send the whole assembly, yoke/shaft, switches/wiring?

• Hi Ray,
    We removed the yokes with shafts from the panel. Then we removed the switches before shipping to Yoke Up Interiors. It took about 10 days during my annual. While they were out we replaced the bushings and universal joints. After reassembly the yokes are smooth and firm. The plane flies like it just came from the factory.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Thank you, Good advice on the Bushings and U-joints.

• Love the yoke covers. Very nice looking.

KPJS.llc
    N6399C
    AZ

• Thanks! :) They are awesome!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Looks awesome Scott.

• Just got my yokes back from yokes up (thanks Scott for the recommendation) and love them
    . (picture has old piper center emblem)

• edited April 11

They're amazing. I'm getting comments constantly on mine, too. I'm glad you like yours!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited April 11

Question about the Piper logos. Scott's are embroidered and lkstarcher's are OEM like.
    are both removable like OEM (AKA glued on)?

Seems like they need to be removed to run the wiring?

• When they arrive they are not on the yoke. You put them on with a drop of adhesive on each side. Easy as pie.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• That's easy enough... My pilot side had to come off when the Pitch trim switch needed to come out for a minor repair and it was noticed that the wiring was not correctly routed and could be easily damaged.

My piper logos are looking a bit shabby so the leather embroidered logos would be a major improvement.

Scott, did you send the logo plate in with the yoke to be covered with the embroidered logo, or did they supply a correct shaped plate?

My annual is due the last week this month so I plan on pulling the yokes just before the annual starts, which seems to take my IA about a week or so to do... should work out well, consolidating downtime.

I think I'll Cerakote the cover and switch plates that week also. All this will really clean up my cockpit. I'll add my pics when it's all done.

• My yokes came with the same Piper center pieces. They are leather with stitching. Yokes Up buys them in quantity.

• Yes, same here.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• What do/did you both do with all the cables that route through the yoke column? My pilot-side yoke has a 10 conductor cable (autopilot, trim, PTT, etc).

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Hi Jim,
    Next time I go see my plane I'll find out for you. Stand by.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• All the cables are in one sheath running under the left part of the yoke to the shaft of the yoke. Will post a picture tomorrow after I go by the plane (still under construction).

• Around how much was it for the yoke wrap?

• edited April 25

Yoke Up Interiors was over a thousand and I get constant compliments on it. I put a hundred hours into the Airtex interior and people only notice the yokes, lol. www.Yokeupinteriors.com

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• picture of the wiring.

• Ok, thanks. In my Arrow all the wiring for both yokes is internal to the column and exits through a hole in the column just ahead of the "U" joint where the columns meet the control "Y" . Hence my stifled ability to have the control columns re-chromed :(

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• That bundle goes through the column, correct? Is there a BIG in-line connector under the panel where the wiring bundle is split out into the various places it needs to go?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Yes the bundle goes into the column then the wires go where they need to go.