The never-ending annual

Our 1961 Cherokee 160 went in for annual at Thanksgiving. We are now shooting for a Memorial Day debut. We bought it in February 2020 and the first annual had a few surprises.

So we took the opportunity to put in new insulation- new seat covers and cushions - new flooring - new headliner and new side panels. We figured there would never be a better time to have it completely torn apart

Here is the pic of the insulation that we finished today and the headliner that we put in couple weeks ago. Not perfect by any means but lot better than it was. It has to smell better when this is all done. Tearing the old seat covers I prolly got rid of 5 lb of mouse sh**

Will post some more pics of the progress when the seats go together and the flooring finishes up.

Comments

• Looking great! I'm just finishing my interior, too. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Looks great! You're going to love it when you're done!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited May 2

PS - I'll bet a lot of us have been through a "never ending annual". Mine spanned 19 months, but I came out the other end of it with the equivalent of a new airplane. 12 years later, it still smells and feels new.

Post lots of pics when you're done!

Jim "Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks - we are hoping it will perform better and be easier to fly. We had to replace a cracked carb shroud so we hope that will help a little with a lack of power

We also got rebuilt attitude indicator and directional gyro installed so we rearranged the panel to a 6-pack setup and put in two rebuilt TKM nav-coms. Our AP said something like “welcome to the mid-80s
  • It looks like they are are doing a great job, including the new insulation!

• Thanks - we are actually doing all of the interior work ourselves. The insulation is peel and stick and came from Airtex. I use the word we pretty loosely - my buddy that I own the plane with did the work and told me the sizes and shapes to cut out
  • How much insulation did you end up using?

• We bought 5 yds of the half inch to basically go everywhere except under the carpet. Bought 2 sheets of quarter inch to go under carpets. We had some half left over - can’t remember how much but we did a good job of not having excess waste when we cut it total cost was around 450 plus shipping
  • Should have read had some half inch left over