Simple upgrade gone mad

So, new pilot and sold my Warrior for an Arrow 3 NA. About to go on my second solo flight with this new plane ,new hanger and new procedures and forgot the tow bar, ouch. So while it was going to be down I thought a simple upgrade of a few electronics as I had no clue how to use the gps? So was going to replace the kx155 with a 430W, new intercom, and a panel mounted 760. I found I could sell the kx155 so I added a gtx330es. Canadian and adsb is not mandatory yet but coming and would like to fly south. I wasn't going to add and engine monitor yet but engine was out, wiring was apart and would save money just to put that in as well EDM830, so the new electronics wouldn't talk to the legacy autopilot and DG so the price of the analog converter may as well get a TruTrak then an Aspen. Kind of seeing a pattern here lol. I did the carbon fibre wrap and while the interior was out local guy at my airport did the leather interior. I also love to fly at night and northern Ontario can be really dark. But love tinted windows. I found a tint in Ontario that is like my glasses, clear but when exposed to uv it tints up. Tested on the pickup truck first, awesome.
Back to the rest, needed new prop so I opted for a Scimitar and a Suefly electronic ignition. Led lights and just added wing tips with led and all speed mods, wing smoothing to be done this winter. Also repainted the stripes.

Comments

• When someone mentions how expensive it is when you hit the tow bar I will remember your post!

Can you send more details on the UV tint film? Did you apply to all windows including the windshield?

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• OMG, you've been busy and done an amazing job bringing your Arrow into the 21st century. I, for one, love to restore older planes and bring new life and passion into them and so I applaud you. Congrats and if you make it to Wisconsin, let me know. We can meet!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Here is a screen shot of the contact info. I bought a 5' x5' piece. Think it was 350.00 ish cdn. I tryed to do the windows my self and messed up a couple pieces. Then hired a local tint guy, I did all the windows and just a brow on the windshield. I used paper to make templates so I could've arrange them for less waist. The tint is thicker than car tint so it is harder to put on. It only takes like 20 seconds to go dark, but 5 minutes to lighten up again. At night in the circuit I cannot see the difference between the windshield (not tinted)and the window (tinted).
    I will look you up if I'm in Wisconsin, Scott, I have been following your restoration and that's where I'm getting all these great ideas. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and enjoy reading Saturday mornings with a coffee and Baileys
  • Thanks for the update and complement! :) I truly enjoy doing restorations and working with members. Life is good! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited August 23

Love the photochromic tint :) Have seen in other applications where the ability to transition had a useful life (ie: corrective glasses are ~ 3 years) and am curious as to whether the manufacturer made any statements in terms of what to expect (could not find anything obvious on their web site). As it appears smart-film's market is for buildings, I would expect something longer than for corrective glasses.

Took a look at smart-film's website and it was tough to tell what product does what (https://www.smartfilmglass.com/new-transitional-film.html). Which one went into the Arrow and what are the properties?

• I have glasses that have lasted 5 years and still going, had not heard this before. Not much info so I asked for samples and stuck them in the windshield of my truck so I could see them in the daytime and at night to make sure I was getting what I wanted. I will pull up the invoice . Sv70 rings a bell?
  • So the film I used was SFGV70. it comes 5' wide and I bought 5' length. I don't think 4' would have been enough.
    I spoke to Martyn and he said the tints chemical reaction is good for 5 years per manufacturer. He has been testing and in a laboratory setting getting over 7. I asked if being hangered would extend its life and thought it would, so I think it has a "duty cycle" of a number of times it can transition? If this is the case I may never wear it out???
  • Truly appreciate the additional information :)

Would be nice if the manufacturer published some marketing information so that the rest of us could figure out what each of the products did in terms of tint and energy rejection.

Looking forward to how this project goes as it is looking great so far!

• Here's a little something that I just pulled off the LPAero website about tinting.

TINTS : Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 23.775 states that, from the pilots back forward as seated in normal flight position, the windshield and windows must have a minimum light transmittance of 70%. The Green Tints (#2111 (#2515 & SC15) have & SC11) and Solar Gray Tints a minimum light transmittance of 72 to 75%. All type certified aircraft must comply with this regulation. Tints are not available for most pressurized aircraft outer pressure windows. The inner "scratch panel" windows may be tinted Optional darker tints are available in gray and bronze where allowable and for any experimental aircraft.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I believe the SV70 is 70% at the darkest on a really bright sunny day and light transmittance goes up from there, I have a document on this I will search for when I'm in the office, think it was 99.9 uv protection, I have 70% on my pickup and at night I can't see out my windows , ok in town with street lights, but up north I did not want any tint at night in the plane. Night VFR in a remote location can equal IFR imo.