North Carolina real property tax on aircraft

My wife and I are preparing to embark on a trip to check out retirement locations in more temperate climates. North Carolina is ranked in the top 10 for their "favorable" tax climate for retirees. I discovered yesterday that the state (or, at least, some counties - like Brunswick) tax practically everything you own including homes, property, cars, trucks, trailers, campers, boats (even the engines are appraised separately) and aircraft. They even want you to declare property that you possess that is owned by someone else. I'm afraid to even ask what Big Brother wants with that information.

So NC doesn't sound very tax friendly to me. Would those of you who live in NC and have experience with this system tell me about your experience with valuation? The tax rate appears to be $0.4580 per $100 of value (the AOPA website says the tax varies from $.59 to $1.41 per $100 of valuation). So that's just under $1100 per year just for owning the plane. Add cars and property taxes and it makes my current state of residence (Pennsylvania) look like a real deal - if you can tolerate the winters and about 60 days of clear skies per year.

Comments

• Most insightful. How about Florida and Texas where there are no income taxes?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Florida is on the radar but I was surprised at how few GA airports there are in the areas we're looking. An airport map of the Carolina's looks like someone took at shot at the sectional with buckshot. I haven't done an exhaustive search around Sarasota but will do that before we leave next month. Not sure I would fly much down there in the summer heat without AC.

• I've been down there in the summer. Any flying is at 7am. I love Florida but here I am in Wisconsin, lol. I'm loathe to admit it, but I love Wisconsin. Except January! :) Good luck and let us know how your research comes out.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!