Seeking advice on places to visit on Florida's West Coast

My wife and I will be visiting friends in Vero Beach, Florida in a couple of weeks, and are flying there from our home in New York. After the visit, we'd like to fly to the West Coast of Florida to do some exploring, but are totally unfamiliar with that area. We plan to either rent an AirBnB for a couple of days, or longer, around the West Coast, and then spend a few days in Marathon (on the Keys) before returning home. Any suggestions for locations/airports/things-to-spend-time-with on Florida's West Coast? Thanks!

Comments

• Well let's see: Vero Beach has the Piper plant, go take a tour! North of Vero Beach is Cape Kennedy. South is Miami, lots to do there. Southwest is Marco Island and Sanibel island. Awesome beaches there! and of course, Key West and all of the keys. Have fun!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks very much, Scott. In past years visiting these folks in Vero we've done the Piper plant tour - excellent, but you can only spend the 2 hours breathing in those fumes once in a while before it affects your flying. What we're looking for is recommendations for the West Coast - e.g., is Ft Myers a good place to stay and use as a base to explore, by plane and/or car? And to where? Marco and Sanibel are already on the list, but more for day trips than multi-day stays or base camps. I'm just not sufficiently familiar with that coast of Florida - ether the locales or the airports - to know what makes the most sense for us.