Cherokee Cargo Area

edited September 2021 in General Discussion

I have a 1967 PA-28-140 which is different from others I have seen and have been asked about it but have no knowledge as to why. The other Cherokees I have seen, same year, have the shelf configuration in the cargo area aft of the two rear seats. My Cherokee does not have the shelf, it is all open to the aft with a panel on the back for access to the tail section. I have looked for info on serial number differences and model differences but so far have been unsuccessful in my quest. I am unsure if the manufacture of mine was original with this configuration or if it was a mod somewhere along the line, and if so, if there is a specific STC or something of the like? Anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Easiest path is to find the parts manual for your plane model and research the aft options. If you are lucky then you will find for your serial number both with/without shelf are listed. I think then you would just have to find the parts and get your mechanic to install, update the W/B and add a log entry for the change.
    I think more likely they changed the part and if it is not cross listed might be tough to legally retrofit.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• If I am understanding correctly I think we have the same design on our plane. Ours is a 1961 Cherokee 160 with a bench seat in the back. There is no shelf behind the bench seat and it is open to the cargo area. Behind the cargo area is a wall that separates the tail area where the battery is and the cables going to the rear controls. I don’t think ours is a modification but I guess I could be wrong

Hope that helps
  • edited July 2021

By the way, the shelf has a max weight of ten pounds. You might be able to find one at Wentworth, etc. Do a weight and balance first, though.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My ‘68 Cherokee 180D has a flat panel as the rear bulkhead as well- no hat shelf.
    It looks like a piece of thin MDF with a velcro access panel to the battery box.
    And the thing is cracked, hidden by the overlying original vinyl padding.
    I would like to replace it, and suspect this is nothing more than interior update, keeping in mind the flash point issues for the FAA. When I get ready to repair or replace it I will certainly run it by my A&P first.