Buying a Cherokee Six

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am currently looking at getting a 1978 PA32-300. I have been told by a few people and I have also read other posts that say the 1979 Cherokee Six is the most desirable year, because of the different fuel selector, 94 gallon usable fuel, better designed wheel pants etc... Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me regarding what year is best if there is such a thing????

Thanks.

Comments

• Thanks Ken G. Do you know anything about the wheel pants being more efficient on the 79's vs. previous years? Or a larger tail on the 75's and later? I don't think this is major stuff but I was told to consider it.
  • Here's the early timeline on PA32's that I have:

1965: First production (Six-260)
    1966: Six-300 Introduced
    1967: Two-piece extended baggage door offered
    1967: Cherokee Six Seaplane introduced. Floats, handles on wingtips & cowl, doors open all the way forward.
    1969: New instrument panel with standard six-pack arrangement and "Sports Power" throttle console ("Cherokee Six B")
    1972: Dorsal fin added
    1974: Additional cabin windows, restyled
    1976: Retractable gear and interconnected wing tanks (Lance)
    1977: Club seating introduced as an option
    1978: Larger wheel fairings on Sixes, T-Tails on Lances
    1979: Six-260 dropped, Six-300 gets interconnected gas tanks and drops zero fuel weight restriction
    1980: Semi-tapered wing, every PA32 becomes a Saratoga, straight tails return

I've no data on a "larger tail" in '75 (or ever).

Regards,
    Joe
  • Thanks Joe. Are the interconnected gas tanks that big of a deal to affect a decision or just a nice convenience? Any thoughts?
  • The interconnected fuel tanks are not a big deal. The late style wheel pants are a few knots faster than the early style, but not quite as fast as the after-market fairings.
  • Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Made an offer on a 1979 today. We will see what happens??

Tom