gear in-transit light

PA28R-180, When I select gear down the gear in transit(git) light illuminates until I have three in the green. Then the git light turns off. When I select gear up the three in the green turn off and the gear in transit light remains illuminated. I have the aircraft on jacks and can hear the gear pump turn off. Visual inspection shows the gear is up. Pulling the gear breaker does not turn the git light off.

While flying I encountered this problem and pullet the breaker to protect the pump. Aircraft handled as if gear was up, no way to know for sure. Reset the breaker and selected gear down at destination. Gear operated normally and lights operated correctly

Does any one know what controls the git light?

Comments

• Hi, I have a 1977 Piper Seneca 2 and during my annual last year I had all of my gear microswitches cleaned with a spray cleaner. That worked on most of them but not on one switch. Ultimately I had my A&P replace the one switch. That solved my problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Most likely one of the grear up limit switches. Was the problem on two different Arrows Ive owned over the years.
  • Hi and thanks for writing. I'm assuming you have a maintenance and service manual for your aircraft. Check the landing gear section of the manual to troubleshoot the problem. It sounds like you have a stuck switch or relay somewhere. If you don't have a manual, they are cheap and available online for about $50.00 from the following sources.
    http://www.eflightmanuals.com/ITEM_EFM/CAT_EFM.asp?cID=3144 or http://www.esscoaircraft.com/c-12691-piper-pa-28r-201-201t-arrow-iii-turbo-arrow-iii.aspx
    The manual is outstanding for solving all kinds of problems and answering all kinds of questions. I recommend it highly. This should solve your problem.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I just had that same problem repaired on my Arrow. The tie which holds the wiring in place on one of the mains slipped down the gear leg and when I retracted the gear, the wiring got pinched and the one gear would not retract fully. It was a very quick fix.
  • Finally found the section in my maintenance manual. It stated the uplimit switches controlled the yellow light. There are three uplimit switches, Two in the wing for each main gear that are not adjustable and one on the nose gear that is adjustable. I found the switch on the nose gear had moved and was out of adjustment. Adjusted switch according to book and problem was resolved.

Thanks for the help to correct this nagging problem.