Piper Saratoga HP

Hi All. First post on this forum, not many Saratoga pilots to talk to in the UK!

I have just got my Saratoga Turbo (N88NA) back after an engine overhaul. It has also has a new glass panel with the EDM 900 so I have some very precise readings!

The question I have is what do most people run them at? I am finding that at 75% power to keep EGT under 400 I need to be burning around 23GPH. This seems excessively high? Could it just be the new engine bedding in (with the straight oil for the first 25 hours?)
Alternatively could more accurate figures simply go against the POH?
I am finding she does 143knts at 65%@18GPH. There is also no gain in efficiency with increased altitude really.

Am I to expect this with a new engine or is there likely an air leak with this engine? Any thoughts?!

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. Let me pass this by our A&P, Erich Rempert, for his thoughts. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I can't speak as to the performance #'s as I don't have enough experience in type, I'd suggest comparing his numbers to the performance charts in the POH if there are any.

As for the high CHT's (I assume that's what he meant) I'd almost disregard them for now, they will be high during break in, this is normal, and he should run rich (or do whatever it takes ) to keep them cool. He will know the rings are seated when CHT's come down, stabilize, and oil consumption falls off. As for right now, everything is tight and is wearing in, that causes extra heat. I'd consider this normal operation, and I wouldn't start getting baseline comparison numbers until the engine is broken in.

At the first oil change, the shop that did the OH or installed the engine should go over all the fasteners and do a thorough inspection of the engine FWF to catch an correct any items that are loosening up etc. (it's not uncommon for fasteners to loosen up a bit after the first few runs / heat cycles) Pay special attention the the induction clamps etc, and exhaust system as well as oil and fuel lines.

~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!