External power to learn avionics on the ground

I have a NOCO GB 70 battery charger and a plug-and-jump for my Cherokee. I'd like to use these to learn the avionics in the panel (it's a new plane to me); however, there's nothing in the POH re. how to do this (only a general statement indicating that one can use an external power supply). Plug in the plug-and-jump, attach the battery cables, and then? I'm eager to do this, but also nervous about doing it incorrectly and damaging the avionics. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. On many Pipers, the ground service plug is for jumping and starting only and is wired that way. To be safe, use automobile jumper cables and go right to the battery with your external power supply. It isn't quite as easy (nothing beats a one-plug solution) but it will work for you. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, Scott. I wish there was a definitive answer. There are posts (including older ones) on another forum and several differing answers. Some favor a BatteryMinder, some recommend the portable power supply with Piper style single pin plug (Aircraft Spruce item). I've had conversations about continuous charge vs. trickle, recommendations to look at the plane's wiring, and more.

Was just hoping for a 'simple' solution in order to learn the avionics on the ground.

• Hi, a Battery Minder (trickle charger) is good to keep the battery in top condition; I use one on my plane in the winter. Don't use it for running your avionics. As for the pin-plug, I have one and use it for jump-starting my plane. It bypasses the battery on my plane and goes right to the starter. I don't know about your plane. However, if you use auto-battery cables, you'll be fine.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Do you have your trickle charger “wired” directly to the battery? With an external access?

• Hi, on my Seneca it was in the nose baggage compartment. I had it permanently wired so all I had to do was open the baggage door an inch. On my new Arrow, it's right behind the rear baggage compartment. I have it wired so all I have to do is open the baggage door an inch. :) Both work perfectly! Open an inch and plug it in.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Same here on my Archer, in the rear baggage area.

• Hello Scott,

I know this is an older post, but coming up on my annual and would be perfect time for my A&P to install something similar on my Cherokee 140. Do you have the electrical plans and/or part number(s) for a kit that I can get installed. Any guidance is appreciated.

Rick

• Hi Rick,

This is easy! Aircraft Spruce has many options. For about 6 years I've used this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/tenderchgr6.php?clickkey=15249 . My last battery lasted 6 years and it comes with the connectors that you need; and it's only $35! I also have one on my Corvette in the winter.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Only caution is to make sure this is definitely locked prior to take off. I have a short charging cord too but I only have the door wide open or completely locked.

For learning avionics I would suggest the best course is to have a CFI or otherwise qualified pilot be in charge of see and avoid while you fiddle with the electronics in the air.

For some actions the panel only makes sense in context of an actual flight so although it is more expensive it is also more valuable learning. You can also practice flying at ~ 45% power settings to save on fuel as well.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• How many amps are you pulling with the stacked fired up? The Battery Tenders are not designed to supply a power source, not do they supply enough power to keep the voltage stable.

You can use a regulated power supply that will provide sufficient ground power for $200 or less-ish. I have had a Samlex 1230UL and I currently have an Iota DLS-45. Please make sure it’s fused.

You can sit in the plane as long as you want and never worry about running down the battery. Both are also extremely high quality battery chargers and the Iota has an option for the IQ4 smart battery that keeps it in tip top health.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Ricardo, Might want to seek out Avidyne owners to see what they are doing for aux power. Reason for the mention is that when I looked into AVidyne Nav/COMM equipment, there were a bunch of videos recommending to supply aux power during database updates due to the time it took to complete the process. IIRC, one individual hooked to the battery of a garden tractor (which was used as a tug). Definitely not looking to bash a product and am just sharing what I found regarding the topic of aux power.

• I just picked up a White Lightening GPU to be used with a Van’s RV-12 I have just began building. A cursory look at the manual shows two ways to hook it up. Both methods have you attaching directly to the main power solenoid at either the battery side or the buss side. Attaching to the batt side would require switching on the master to power the avionics, while attaching to to the buss side allows powering the avionics stack without energizing the solenoid and involving the battery. When I get time I will have to read the manual further to determine the reasoning behind both ways of wiring to determine which way would be most appropriate for me.