Wow! Buyer Beware!

Just a heads-up to hopefully help someone avoid a mistake I ALMOST made. Time to renew the registration for the Cherokee. Got the letter from the FAA last month, stuck it in the drawer and waited for a rainy day (today) to process. I recalled that you can now do this online - so I Googled "renew aircraft registration online" and went to the site. Looks official. Fill out all the info and then have to get the letter out anyway to supply the security code the FAA sent me. Go to the "Pay" page - $65.00 !! What?? The letter says $5.00 like it has always been. Did the new FAA Funding Bill just passed in Congress change something? Started digging - There is no change in price. My Google search took me to a website that would take my info and gladly charge me $60 to send my $5 to the FAA! $60 to do something you can do for **FREE ** and easier just by providing the security code in the letter! Lesson Learned: Read the WHOLE letter and go to the official FAA renewal website - http//registry.faa.gov/renewregistration

Gonna go and put $60 of fuel in the plane . . .

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up! Scams everywhere, it seems.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Wow thanks!!! Someone is always trying to scam you out of your hard earned money!
    By the way have I talked to you about crypto currency???? LOL
    If I get one more call from those jerks on my cell phone :'(

Rich Denton
    President
    EAA Chapter 175