Blocking vents for winter

I have a 1970 Cherokee 180 with a 4 year old paint job and am wondering the best way to block the vents in winter. My first thought is to tape something over the vent on the leading edge, but really don't want to damage that pretty paint job. What tips do you have that I should consider.

Jim

Comments

• Hi Jim,
    Just out of curiosity, you're referring to the floor vents in the cabin, right? Don't the vents close correctly? Mine shut tight in my Arrow.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes the floor vents. They close, but they each leak a wee bit of cold air and after an hour my back seaters were ready to land with cold feet. I've been told to tape off the vent inlets on the wing, but I would hate to do that to a beautiful paint job.

Jim

• Hi Jim,
    Got it. I wouldn't tape off anything. My guess is that the air plates in the floor valve are dirty and either need to be cleaned or replaced. You could put some foam rubber in them or put some duct tape on them from the inside the cabin.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, thats exactly what I was wondering. They feel closed but it would not take much of a carpet fuzz or some other thing to create the leak.

• Ok, Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, My floor vents on my 67 235B leak pretty bad, can you point me to a supplier for replacement parts?

• Sure, stand by. In the short term, stuff some foam rubber in them or put a bit of duct tape over them. I'll get you the parts supplier asap. Stand by.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Ok, we're going to need part numbers specific to you 235. Do you have a parts manual? If not, you can get one online in minutes for $50. at www.essco.com or www.eflightmanual.com.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• All, I have a 1973 Challenger Cherokee 180 and have the same air leak problem in the winter months. What I found that worked for me is I purchased 4 - 2” rubber balls and they fit nice & tight in the floor vents. In the spring I remove the balls & save them for the next winter. I bought these rubber balls from Amazon. Good luck!

• Great, cheap, simple solution. Thanks Don!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, I will download the manual for future use, but in the meantime I may go with donemory's suggestion. Thanks you guys!

• Roger that! Glad to be of service :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• 3M 471 tape is great, especially with that screen backing that is on the vent, just overlap it an inch or two. If you worried about paint removal because the tape is to "sticky" take a length of tape, Hold both ends firmly and push the adhesive against your jeans/pants. The micro sized lint in the fabric will keep the tape from sticking to your fresh paint. Try it on a hidden area, then your LE of your wing. The tape doesn't need to be really sticky as the relative wind will hold the tape against the wing.
    I use the red on my plane..Comes in many colors.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Vinyl-White-Conveniently-Packaged/dp/B00AQ2A8BS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=2"+3m+471+tape+white&qid=1549851362&s=industrial&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

• Great tip! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi everyone, I just had a thought on this. Make sure that under don't ever tape off the air vents on the outside of the airplane. If you should ever be unfortunate enough to have a carbon monoxide issue with your airplane, you're going to need all the fresh air you can get. If the vents are shut off from the outside you could have a major problem.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I tried the 2 inch balls but they are a little loose. In the process I discovered the problem. My gasket/seal/o rings on the vent shut offs are bad. Should be easy enough to fix. Thanks all.

Jim

• Thanks for the update, Jim.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• My cherokee 180 also leaks at the foot locations. I had some of the Mr. Clean white foam Magic Eraser's left over. They are white and can be trimmed to fit the outside scoops snuggly. I use these during winter storage. They are white (so is my plane) and they are light, if they should ever come out, won't hurt anyone.