just finished my installing and testing my skybeacon

Just an FYI incase anyone has any questions. I just installed and tested my skybeacon on my 28-151.
Let me know if anyone needs any info.

PS. My rebate was just approved as well!!!

slo

Comments

• Excellente! :) Nicely done! Can you post a pic or two?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• How did you conduct your validation flight? I've just mounted mine and will be doing my flight this weekend.

Kurt Johnson

• How long was the install?
  • For my validation flight, fortunately (?) I live under the DTW class b airspace, so I just flew around for about 40 mins. The first test flight failed. This is pretty normal for the skybeacon, even though ATC said they could see everything there are supposed to see, the skybeacon needs to be adjusted. From the factory their is a setting that is set to 45, you need to drop that down. Skybeacon suggest lowering it 3 each time but the sweet spot appears to be around 37 or 38. Mine was at 37.

• install, depends. Do you have strobes?
    The install itself took about 1.5 hours, its pretty easy. The light matches up perfectly with your current light. I removed the wing tip completely for easier access. take the three screws out replace with the skybeacon and connect the nav wires.

the issue is if you have strobes. The skybeacon cannot be attached to your strobe power supply, it shorts out the power supply boxas it is an LED light. So I took this as an excuse to upgrade all my lights too LED's. I kept the wires in the wings from the power supply box so it wasn't too hard at all.

• That matches my install instructions and what I have to do on my Arrow.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!