Overhead console replacement in Arrow

The overhead console in my Arrow is cracked in several places, and I found a replacement at Knots 2U. I am going to assume that I can replace this myself, as I believe it falls under the following owner-allowed maintenance...Correct me if I'm mistaken.

"Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft."

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• You are good to replace any interior pieces on your own.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• I repurposed/repainted my overhead console. Only consideration I discovered with a replacement, holes for the retainer screws may need to be drilled.

• Yes, you can replace it yourself. I've done many and you will probably need to trim it a little. When it's done it's really nice. I'm going to visit Knots2U tomorrow. Great company and products.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I would comparison shop with texasaeroplastics and vantage plane plastics also. I have used vantage interior parts for replacement in my Archer and they have stood up well for several years now..

• Keep in mind that Knots2U's products are not all made by Knots2U. Many are made by the companies you mention above and resold.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited April 2019

Yes, Scott is correct. In fact, most of what they sell is produced by other companies, other than their line of gap seals, fairings and the like. And, conversely, the speed mods, gap seals and fairings sold on Texas Aero Plastics web site are made by Knots 2U.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• My wife helped me install this today. If any of you are contemplating doing this, here's some good advice...Open the holes with a 3/16" drill in the plastic that they have already drilled, or else you will never get it mounted!!! I could get the screws on one side started, but couldn't get the screws on the other side to start, because I didn't have enough "slop" to move the console to get the holes lined up. Took the console down again and drilled the holes bigger, and then it was relatively easy to get screws in and tightened down. The new console looks much better than the old, yellowed, brittle console. Since we had it down, we replaced the speaker as well. The old one was in bad shape!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I've done this and it just makes one feel like they're in a new plane. Your tips are right on the money. Don't be afraid to do other plastic, too. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, funny you should say that...this evening I ordered new door plastic trim, and will be removing the windshield trim pieces to see what shape they are in. That 40 year old plastic sure shows it's age!

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Luckily mine were in good condition, only needed a paint job.