2 vs 3 bladed prop

Thinking about propellers, and after talking with Joe the prop guy, I'm wondering what the general thoughts are on 2 vs 3 bladed propellers. It looks like someone could get a composite 3-bladed prop for a little over $12,000, vs a 2-bladed one for $9,400. I hear that 2-bladed props are a little lighter, faster, and noisier...vs quieter and less vibration in the 3-bladed version. Plus, the 3-bladed one does look a little cooler on the ramp :)

I did some Googling, but I am looking for some personal opinions, too!

Jim M.
PA-28R-200
Based at BUU
ATC Chicago TRACON

Comments

• Yes, three blade props are quieter, but, as you stated, they are heavier and slower in cruise vs. a two-bladed prop. A friend of mine replaced the McCauley prop on his Arrow with a Hartzell three blade prop, and he lost over 2 kts. in cruise performance. His plane also gained almost twenty pounds of nose weight because of the prop.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I have heard the same thing. Loss of cruise speed may be due to turbulence caused by the preceding blade in a 3 blade prop whereas in the 2 blade prop the turbulence may be less or none. Years ago I had to buy a new prop and it was suggested to buy a 3 blade unit because the prop shop had those in stock but said I might wait for a while until Hartzell made a run of 2 blade units because people were not buying many of them. Turned out they found a 2 blade prop which I bought...cheaper and I don't need the climb performance advantage purported for a 3 blade but I do need the cruise speed...the more the better!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• There's an STC to install a Hartzell two-blade Scimitar prop on an Arrow. If I ever have to buy a new prop, I'll really consider that route.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• I think I will be going with the two blade scimitar prop, as a matter of fact.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Yes, me too! When I bought the one I have, there wasn't an STC available. A friend of mine has a Mooney with the same engine and prop and he replaced his old prop with the scimitar and claims it makes cruise faster.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• As far as propellers go, it looks pretty cool!

https://www.knots2u.net/piper-pa-28r-propeller-2-blade-hartzell-scimitar-ppi-28/

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the old prop....

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim, you can always list it on Barnstormers...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Hi Jim,

In the hangar across from me is an Arrow 200 with a three blade prop. I can put you in touch with the owner, Bob, if you want to talk to him about it. Here's a picture.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited April 2019

Jim, I would approach the problem from the perspective of "given my preferences, what is the best propeller on the market for my airframe-engine combination"? For example, I do not care that much about the looks or speed, but I do care very much about noise and vibration, so losing 2 knots in cruise in exchange for noticeable reduction of noise would be a no-brainer "yes!", but you might have different preferences.

I bought my Arrow from a flight school that is also a reputable propeller shop. They cared for the propeller and the whole airplane well. I have a 3-blade McCauley, and combined with the Continental TSIO-360 it is pretty much the smoothest combination I have ever flown. I am sure much of that is just good maintenance and balancing, but I do believe the 3-blade design has inherent advantages when it comes to vibration and noise. The propeller has plenty of life in it and I am planning to overhaul it later this year, but when the time comes, I will take a hard look at what is available on the market. For example, on the Facebook PA-28 flyer/owner group I have seen reports from Arrow owners who were very happy with the MT 3-blade composite propeller upgrade. In this case the manufacturer and the users both report a small increase in the climb and cruise performance over the 2-blade prop. So that prop will be definitively on my shortlist, in addition to whatever McCauley offers.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
    Karol

Karol Zadora
    PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV
    Seattle Area

• edited April 2019

Looks like I'd be out of luck if I wanted to use an MT prop, there is no STC in the USA for a PA28RT-201.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV