Cherokee6, Lance, and Saratoga Pilots

[url=http://]Title[/url]I just learned that because My Cherokee6 has a Type Certificate that says its a 7 Passenger airplane even though the optional seat was never installed it won't qualify me to fly under the new Basic Med guidelines. On AOPA their legal experts confirmed this. I am going forward with new class 3 but interested what other pilots are thinking?

Comments

• Hi and thanks for writing. I think it was a smart move on your part to renew your third class medical while all of this stuff gets sorted out in the next couple of years.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Read Advisory Circular 68-1 and look at 5.1.2. I have a Saratoga and I plan to either get a new STC or amend the STC from the original seven occupants down to my actual configuration of six occupants. Then your plane will qualify.
  • Hi, after reading your message yesterday I looked up the type certificate on my Seneca. And guess what?! 7 passengers. I have the same problem. thanks for clueing me in. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi, where can I source a downloadable pilot information manual for a Saratoga II TC?

• Hi and thanks for writing. Here are two sources:

https://www.eflightmanuals.com/
    http://www.esscoaircraft.com/

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott. Thanks for responding. I tried both of these sites and they have everything except the Saratoga II TC. I have a hard copy From Aircraft Spruce but want to load a PDF copy onto my iPad. Any other ideas? Thanks
    Tom

• Ok, we're half way there! Give your local UPS store a call. They do scanning there. See if they'll scan your printed manual into a pdf and email it to you. My local one does.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Has anyone had any experience buying an aircraft that was involved in an accident? The one in question had it's wings replaced in 1992. The aircraft is on Controller.

1977 PIPER LANCE at Controller.com
    1977 PIPER LANCE
    Garmin Avionics, STEC 55X Auto Pilot, Newer Paint and Interior, Low TT and Engine Check out this beautiful Lance that we just got in! This Lance is a treat to fly. Good reliable avionics, auto pilot and 6 seats with a great useful load, you can take this thing anywhere. The paint and interior ...
    For Sale Price: USD $124,900
    Serial #: 32R-7780472
    Total Time: 2,294
    Engine(s): Engine Manufacturer: Lycoming Engine Serial: L-15…
    Avionics/Radios: Garmin GMA 340 Audio Panel Garmin GNS 530 Nav/Com…

Aircraft Ownership Solutions
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Phone: (765) 456-1772
    Add To Watchlist
    View My Watchlist

• Hi, and thanks for writing. Since the fleet is getting older, it becomes inevitable that some of our airplanes get involved in accidents. Here's what you should look for:
    1. What kind of accident was it? Why were the wings replaced.
    2. Is the fuselage okay? Was it damaged?
    3. Where did the wings come from? Were they inspected?
    4. Was the repair done to FAA specs and logged correctly?
    Chances are that everything is okay as the damage was over 25 years ago. Make sure that the airplane is priced correctly as damaged (and correctly repaired) aircraft still command a discount over perfect aircraft. I purchased a damaged aircraft 14 years ago and have no regrets.
    On another note, make sure you do a very thorough pre-purchase inspection. Look for corrosion under the rear seats. Good luck.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Just an FYI, I looked into this Lance, the N number was changed after the accident, it appears as though this may have been done to make it more difficult to find the NTSB report. The plane stalled when the pilot pulled up early in a crosswind, it climbed to over 50ft, came back down, hit a shed and a large fuel tank. No post crash fire, but both wings were severed and the fuselage was damaged. No fatalities, but it looks like it took almost 10 years to get the plane flying again. N number at time of accident was N38781. I was still sort of interested until further investigation showed that it apprears this aircraft has changed hands 2-3 times in the last year or two. That was too big a red flag for me. I believe they have since had a deposit placed on the plane. Hope this helps, I’m not trying to diswade anyone from a purchase, but really feel when you’re buying something like an aircraft, full disclosure should be the rule.
  • You're doing a lot of people a favor, no apologies needed. BTW, when you finally find the plane of your dreams and you want to talk about what to look for that a pre-purchase inspection won't find, let me know and we can talk on the phone. A Seneca is a twin Lance/Saratoga and I've owned three over 25 years. I've replaced everything on my various airplanes other than the skin, lol. :) Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks guys...really appreciate your help. I did find out that this aircraft was in a severe accident. And Scott I agree as these airplanes age there will be more of these coming to the surface. I am financing part of this aircraft and the bank doesn't want to hear the word damage! I'm looking all over the single aircraft spectrum. Mooney,Lances, and Bonanzas. The Bonanza is a beautiful crafted and engineered aircraft. Don't mean to take anything away from Piper here but leaving the door wide open. Staying in the 1976-1978 year range. It's been an education to say the least. I've been flying B777's for American and you guys are doing the real flying. That's what brought me back to GA! Flying these singles and twins is a real challenge not to mention trying to purchase one! lol

• Ok, good luck. If I hear of one I'll pass it on! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!