Sun Visors

I have a '78 PA28R-201 and am looking for replacement sun visors. I amm specifically looking for orig equip style visors. Any suggestions on where I might find oem visors?
Thank you very much.
Jim

Comments

• Seems we did get a replacement visor a long time ago but I can't remember from where. We have replaced them with Rosen sun visors which are much more useful.
  • Tim, thank you. Just for interest, the ioriginal pilot side visor had power setting info silk screened on the back side of it. Just curious if your replacemnt visors have anything like that. Probably not but thought I would ask.
    Thanks for the info.
    Jim
  • You can put that info on Rosen's if you wanted to. I have a machine to do that with.
  • No, it doesn't. We just made a paper chart, laminated it and keep on the clipboard.

We tried getting a replacement one but it was solid grey instead of our original translucent green.
  • flyguydon wrote:
    You can put that info on Rosen's if you wanted to. I have a machine to do that with.

Don,
    I purchased a pair of the visors from planeparts and they are fine. My issue is that the original mounting hardware is not tight enough to hold the visors in the up position. Muncie Aviation gave me some teflon tape to put on the posts and it helped but didn't resolve the problem. They gave it to me free because I think they were embarrassed by the price of $120 for just 1 of the curved metal pieces. Any ideas how to make the thing stay in position.
  • TMyers,
    Had the same problem with mine. Which were 2- halve curved plates that fit over the metal bar that the visor (Bar) is sandwiched between. And when screwed together it didn't apply enough friction to hold the visor in place. If it is the same as mine I took both visors plates and with a toothpick put a few daps of JB Weld inside one of the plates where the bar rides. After drying I fitted the visor and if too much glue was applied a I took a small round file to the glue so that the pieces fit tightly.
    And when I had my power settings silked screened I had a few extra copies made because the cost of the setup was more than the copies.
    The power setting on the visor is a requirement in the my Saratoga.

BTW: I forgot what page in the POH I found that repaire on. ;)
  • Reviving an old thread.

Were your Rosens too heavy and continually dropping down. I am having the same issue. I'm goin to have to take a look at the parts and see if the JB weld trick might work.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• I have Rosens in my Arrow and had them in my Seneca. My Arrow Rosen's are old and worn and due for replacement one of these days but they do stay up. Have you tightened the bolt with an allen wrench?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• All the visible ones.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Hmm. Contact them on Monday morning. (800) 284-7677 or contact@rosenvisor.com. They have great people over there, I'm sure they'll take care of you in just a few minutes.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I did call them and they were helpful. Apparently there are a few nuts under my trim that I need to tighten. I will post with the results after I get home.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Good news! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• After a quick discussion on the phone and an engineering drawing in my email, I determined that the block should easily come off the stud. It did not.

I think the set screw in the block was overtightened in an attempt to correct for a loose stud that was spinning. This pulled a little material into the relief area cut into the stud. I got it off after much prying and coaxing.

Once this was off I could remove the trim and analyze the real problem. The real culprit turned out to be a loose nut holding the stud on the frame. Also, there was no second lock nut to make sure that this would continue to loosen.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Good news!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• stud nuts tightened today and a second lock nut added. Total price - about 38 cents and a couple hours trying to figure it all out.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Tenacity is a virtue, lol. Good work!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!