Finally got out to fly again today!!!

Wednesday morning it was -30 here, today it got up to 42 above...so, the only thing to do was spend some time in the Arrow! Got a nice 2.5 hr flight in.

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• Lucky! I haven’t been up in 3 weeks. I was hoping to get a flight in before work tomorrow morning, but it looks like the wx will be marginal...I might be waiting another week.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• I haven't been up in three weeks, either. I'm hoping to dig out the hangar this weekend!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• We have had 0-0 here for several days occasionally improving to 2 OVC and fog 1/4mi. Today there was this bright blue sky and a big yellow thingy in the sky. So I took off work early and flew for about 45 minutes. My last flight was a couple of weeks ago. Had just got the plane back from a two month long annual (that's another story altogether) and flew for almost two hours.

• I'm hoping to get in my hangar tomorrow for the first time in 6 weeks. :) fingers crossed!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Glad I’m not the only one! I’m shooting for Friday morning.

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Lucky in Kentucky! I was able to fly to Shenandoah VA round trip last Friday and again today. Windy, but CVU.

• I got up early today and went out to the airport to take part in today's clear and cold weather. I warmed up the hangar and got all my stuff ready to go...and then the hangar door wouldn't open. The 40 degrees we had yesterday melted everything off the roof and it pooled and refroze at the bottom of the door overnight.

I bought an ice pick, but am quickly losing motivation to drive back to the airport today. This winter, if it hasn't been one thing, it's been another!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Hi Jim,
    Same problem with my hangar. Argh! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hence my use of a "Sawz-All" to amputate the bottom 4-5 inches of sheet from the sliding doors on my hangar! Only took me 35 years to think of that!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Holy cow, Jim, did you do any damage to the hangar?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• No damage at all! The sheet metal skin extended well below the bottom wooden stringer so amputating a few inches up to that stringer just prevents ice formed by water dripping off the roof from locking the doors into the ground. I have strips of outdoor "door mats" nailed to the inside of the bottom stringer to reduce rabbit intrusion and dust !!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• That's good to hear, Jim. When I next get out to my hangar I'll look into doing the same thing. Thanks so much.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• An hour with the ice pick this morning and I got the hangar open! I used some ducting with my torpedo heater and preheated the engine while I chipped away at the ice. After 30 mins the engine was warm to the touch, and I used the heater to help soften the ice on the bottom of the door.

The engine started right up and she flew like a puppy stuck indoors for 6 weeks! I mounted an action cam to record my flying, but 2 out of the 3 files were corrupted for some reason, so all I have is me flying around in circles over southern Wisconsin.

It was nice to finally get out again!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Eat my heart out. I went to my hangar today and no-go. Maybe in a few days, lol. I hope so!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!