Nice to be back (or anywhere)

Since my membership to Piper Owner Society goes back a decade, it didn't initially occur to me to re-introduce myself. But, a lot can happen during that time and people come and people go. So, let me briefly fill in the gaps. I was fairly active on this board until 2014, then to borrow the phrase, life got in the way. I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer, went the "Full Monty" of radiation, surgery and chemo. Had to take a hiatus from flying and let my medical expire while I went through the course of treatment. Once, I had completed the treatment I had to wait another year before the FAA would permit me to apply for a SI of my medical. I had to round up 200 pounds of medical records, which I had Doc Chien review and assist with CAMI. He told me after reading my records that in his opinion I had "been through the valley of the shadow..." Anyway got my medical, I still do six month oncology follow ups and annual re-issuances of my SI. But I have been cancer free for almost 4 1/2 years. I just turned 70, I started flying at an Air Force Aero Club at Ellsworth AFB, SD in 1969 and I still love to fly. I bought an Archer II just over 10 years ago, I put a GTN-650 in it just before I was diagnosed. I am a private pilot, instrument rated (barely out of currency). I still work at my office 4-5 days per week and have no plans to retire just yet.
Anyway, it is good to be back and I enjoy just posting about flying in general as well as reading about others flights. Every flight has something special to us, and reading about others help encourage each of us to go fly. The camaraderie of this wonderful avocation we all share.

Comments

• Welcome back to the world of the flying. Where do you fly out of?

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• KOUN Norman, Oklahoma

• Hi Bill,
    Thanks so much for the update. We're really pleased and honored to have you back. You're among friends here and if there's anything I can do to make it better, friendlier, etc for you please let me know. Hopefully you'll come to our fly in next September! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Didn't get the opportunity to post pix of my mistress when I originally posted here. But wanted to rectify that. The panel shot is a Pflueger custom panel, which I no longer find his direct website, he did custom panels for several years and some were sold through Spruce as I recall. The other shots are my hangar adornments. I have had those USAF lithographs for some almost 50 years. I got them through my Air Force job way back when.

• Thanks for the post!! Great pics.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!