Rotating beacon switch

Hello all, replacing the three position beacon switch on my 67 180. The switch has 6 contacts instead of two like the parts manual, anyway there is a list of available replacements at Spruce not really sure which is comparable to my old one? There is no part number on the old switch just 125V-10a (seems like a lot of volts), my switch has up for beacon and strobe, center is off, down is rotating beacon only. Anybody else replaced similar?
Thanks,
Billy

Comments

• sounds like a DPDT (double pole, double throw switch). Piece of cake to replace. The contacts are all the same on similar replacement switches. Move one wire at a time and it will be fine. If you can post a couple of pics of the front and backside of the switch I can help you find a suitable replacement.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the photos. Yes, it's a DPDT switch. From the looks of it I would guess that it's a toggle switch and not a rocker switch that Piper used later. These are standard and one from aircraft spruce should do the trick.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott, one of my AI buddies thinks after looking at the Piper parts guide that the switch is not original and was added to attach a belly strode. I’ve been having trouble with tail beacon and we believe the switch can’t handle the amps to run both, belly and tail beacon. For now I think we will bypass belly strobe and hopefully keep the tail beacon working!

• OK, good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!