EAA STC Cherokee Autopilot Install Presentation

Greetings all! As a Piper Owner member who has recently upgraded his 1966 Cherokee 180C with a TruTrak Autopilot, a presentation based on my install experience has been selected for Airventure 2019!

For those interested, here are the details on location and time:

Comments

• Congrats, Mike! I'll see you there. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Will there be a link to the presentation? Hopefully? I am two weeks away from start on my TruTrak install

• Hi Kentwkalb,

Not sure about a link. Are you doing any of the install yourself? What year Cherokee?

Regards,

Mike
  • Actually...a 1970 Cessna 172. Install by A@P at Warren Co Ohio airport. I recently sold my 1984 Archer II and moved into the Cessna. Had a Garmin GFC500 autopilot in the Archer.

• I’ll try to make that one.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• See you there!

Kurt Johnson

• Would love to go again and meet all of you. Unfortunately my wife is not well and I can be gone that long. Have a great time.
    Austin

• It was a good presentation.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Hello
    What has been your impressions with the TruTrak thus far..operationally...ie...ease of use, etc...I just received notice from my avionics shop my shiny new TruTrak autopilot will arrive tomorrow. Took 6 weeks from date of order. Supposedly awaiting servos...
    Thanks

• edited July 2019
    @Brother: hi there. Glad you were able to make it!
    @Kentwkalb: so far, it has been easy to sync with your altimeter (must be done during preflight and when updating the altimeter barametric pressure setting enroute), easy to engage and disengage, easy to set mode of operation, etc. Still getting use to handling trim and throttle manually while autopilot is engaged.
    You will love it AND find it spooky when the controls are moving by themselves :)

Even in turbulence, right on target! By the way, Bendix-King has purchased Tru-Trak. Announced this week!

Regards,

Mike
  • I could have used it on the ten hours of flight back home yesterday.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• MIkeJJ: thanks for the info. I had a Garmin G500 in my past Archer II. I was able to let it guide me safely...but it is odd to see the yoke movement! Saw the Bendix King deal. Means TruTrak is attractive...gives us some sense of stability for the future..