Scott Sherer's recent article on wheel covers

First, thanks, Scott. I really enjoy your parts "finds" for things I might never think about or bother taking the time to research.

In my recollection, I don't think I've ever run across an aircraft with only two wheels (with a nod to taildraggers where an slight exception is noted). Why would LoPresti offer their product with only two covers in a set? Yes, for those of us who fly Pipers, crawling under the wings when your knees are shot is no fun. But the nose wheel isn't much easier.

I'm not a cheapskate but $130 for a part (which is probably injection molded) may be relatively inexpensive for aircraft parts in general but, gee whiz, it's a hub cover. I'm sure they had to spend a lot of time waiting to get them approved but really . . . it's mostly wait time. I don't see many design iterations in something like this.

OK. I'll get off my soapbox. Oh, wait. Is that "special screwdriver" needed to open the access door or just to install the covers? If it's needed for the door, ,it makes me wonder about the engineering decisions (or FAA requirements) when a "standard" fastener that doesn't require a special tool would make more sense.

With that said, anyone interested in splitting the cost of a second set so we could do all 3 wheels on our planes?

Comments

• is this a serious question or satire?

'76 Arrow II

W75 Hummel field

Semper Fi

• edited May 12

Am suspecting that there are only two wheel covers in the LoPresti kit as streamlining the nose wheel does not have a measurable benefit. Am guessing here. If there was a benefit to covering the nose wheel, am sure that the LoPresti group would show us how many knots speed improvement we will expect (in perfect conditions, at WOT, at sea level).

I also went the path of Scott with the LoPresti.

The plane came with a set of different wheel covers on the mains where the valve stem was able to protrude through a dedicated hole. This was nice, except I wanted to clean the drag and minimize the opportunity for the stems to chafe against the cover.

Just checked the FlyWat site and there is an update in design where it looks like I might have the previous generation, so some of the following comments might no longer apply.

While liking the LoPresti cap approach, in my case the design is not exactly what I expected and the openings need clocking a bit to place the valve stem in the center of the opening as opposed to currently placing the stem closer to the edge of the opening. Given the orientation, in order to get the common bicycle style pump head (the kind with a lever which rotates 90* to clamp) on the valve stem, I had to buy valve extenders. Without the extenders, I simply cannot get the pump's clamp around the valve. I keep the extenders with the pump and only install them when needing to add air.

A second engineering question item is that the screws which come with the kit use small washers. These washers do not secure to either the hub or screw which makes them easy to lose during Annual when the wheel needs to come off for hub inspection. Don't ask me how I know this. Fortunately, this factor remains at the loss of washer level and no other negative effects.

One place where the A&P and I broke from LoPresti's instructions was the warning to not use any threadlocker product. We decided to use Permatex's blue threadlocker over fear of the screws backing-out. Have not had any issue with removing the screws during Annual and, given that the supplied washers are easy to lose, will stick with the blue threadlocker.

• A number of years ago I bought the wheel covers for my Arrow. The door uses just a standard Phillips head screw. I don't see any way you could have one on the nose wheel because of tow bar access (same side as valve stem). Regarding locktite...as part of preflight one day I noticed that the "Huba Huba" cover on one wheel was GONE...one screw had a piece of plastic still holding on but the other two screws were gone. So back on with the metal hub cap from Piper. I called LoPresti and asked if I could buy a replacement for the missing one and they said no...I would have to buy both...Last time I dealt with that outfit!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• That experience makes me all the more satisfied with the decision to break with the instructions regarding threadlocker.

Just hope that nobody got hurt by the huba huba Frisbee.

• Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)