Best Place to Rent a Piper or Cessna around Daytona Beach?

Folks,

I have my PPL and fly a Dakota here in Virginia. I am traveling to Daytona for a week in July and want to try some Florida flying. Also would love to get checked out/fly in a top wing for fun too. I was thinking of renting a few hours each morning monday-friday if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Daytona area on rentals? I will have a rental car so I am portable. My backup plan if the weather is nice is to fly the Dakota down.

Best Regards,

Bob

Comments

• Seeing as a few days have gone by and nobody else has better inputs, the only suggestion I have is to spend extra money for CFI time while renting.

From the YMWV perspective, my last solid exposure to that area was when Loran was common, GPS was exotic, and IIRC ADSB was not even a thing yet. Unless things have changed, Florida is a beehive of aluminum craft and it takes a fair amount of extra vigilance for situational awareness. Am sure that ADSB-IN will help a LOT in today's environment. While not looking to offend any of our ATC crowd, both a buddy and I found the occasional need to proactively avoid (or reject) intercept courses (again, pre-GPS and ADSB days) that were set about by Tower. A lot has changed since then, so really want to stress the YMWV aspect.

Pulling the thought full circle, a local CFI should have a good mindset for handling local situational awareness and a good tool in the cockpit while learning both the plane and the area.

One thing that does not look like it has changed is the weather. Pop-up thunderstorms are a thing. Oh, and enjoy the cooler weather as the Mid-Atlantic region tends to get hotter than South Florida during that time of the year. About the same for humidity though.

• Thanks! Good idea to a cfi with me. I will call around this week.

• Here is another thought for consideration. Jump over to the Bahamas for a day trip.

Launching from Ft Pierce is an easy run to many locations in the Bahamas. Will need appropriate survival gear and checking on the latest Customs requirements for both ends. Have not gone through the ADIZ since pre-911, where at the time it was about the same as getting through one of the SFRAs. If asking nicely enough (hint: invite for more paid time while on the tach), chances are good that the local CFI knows about all the requirements and some good places to get a conch meal.

Last item to check is currency (money). While the Bahamas uses the Bahamian Dollar, during my last visits it was pegged 1:1 with the US Dollar, and almost all places would take either. Try to not collect much in the way of Bahamian Dollars as they are no good in the US.

• As a south Florida flyer and having flown numerous times up by Daytona, I have a few thoughts.

Airspace is very crowded, you really need ADSB in. iPad and Sentry work great.

If renting, you will need time with a CFI to get checked out in their plane and most rentals do not let you go to the Bahamas. So if renting, check with them in advance.

Virginia to Daytona area can easily be done in a day. I flew from South Florida to Richmond in a relatively easy day.

If you fly, park at DAB and at the ATP jet center. Free parking just call first and let them know you are coming. They are very accommodating. Suggestion: tip the line guys as you are staying for free and they are very helpful .

That's all I can think of for now. good luck.

Andy

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• edited July 4

I assume you are renting your Dakota? Might be possible to rent out the week with a minimum commitment in time and then you could also do the cross country.

Most of the rental places are going to have a 1 hr checkout minimum and that sounds like it is fine for your plans. Having a CFI along and also doing BFR, etc might be good. Always good to have a local expert on board for the flying and the sightseeing.

If the insurance would allow it I bet most CFI's would love to fly to the Bahamas vs their usual day of endless trips in the pattern and stalls in the practice area.

If you are doing a multi day CFI thing I would give the rental place background on your flying as well as interests and hobbies. This will help them pair you up with the best CFI.

Between Avionics, Engine and Airframe the best investment is always going to be training. I think you have an excellent plan and look forward to updates on how it works out.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)