PA-28-235 Best Glide Speed

Greetings All,

I am looking for some sort of authoritative guidance/document to verify the best glide speed of my 1964 Cherokee 235. I'd like to verify best glide is 95 MPH as I am working with my avionics shop to properly set up SmartGlide and the Vg reference on my airspeed tape in my Garmin G3X and GTN650xi.

I have looked in the Owners Handbook, AFMs, and TCDS and do not see Vg defined. The plane came with aftermarket checklists that differ. The general consensus is that Vg is either 90 MPH or 95 MPH, but I would like a definitive answer.

I did try searching the Forum and did not see an answer.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the help!

Comments

• Hi,

I would set it up for 95 mph. The actual speed is also a function of weight and also if you want minimum sink speed or most distance.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Yep - I've got the math all set up to compensate for operating at less than max gross weight.

I see a test flight in my future - calculate the Vg based on both 95 and 90 MPH adjusted for actual weight, and then see which produces the lowest sink rate.

• edited October 12

Hi,

There is going to be an ideal speed but looking at the graph it is also fairly flat in sink rate. I would bias towards more distance (faster glide) as it is more likely you are farther away 600 fpm vs 700 fpm making a difference.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)